Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
redhorse
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: RH

Backup content confusion

Post by redhorse »

Hello,

At the moment I try some options and configurations for our tape backup and although I read the manual there are some unclear situations. We have no backups stored on tape and all tapes are located in the free media pool, so we start from scratch.

We use Forever Incremental for backup to disk, today I have these three restore points on disk:
Monday (VBK), Tuesdays (VIB), Wednesday (VIB)

I created a new Backup to Tape Job with full backup scheduled for Tuesday and no incremental backup. I thought Veeam should backup a Virtual Synthesized Backup with the state of Tuesday using the VBK (Monday) and VIB (Tuesday) when I start the tape backup on Thursday. Instead Veeam stores two full backups on tape, the VBK from Monday and the synthesized from Tuesday, is that behaviour correct? If so, what will happen with the following tape backups?

When I enable the option “Process latest full backup chain only” Veeams tells me that there is nothing to backup even when all tapes are empty. Is that correct and what is the function of this option?

Kind regards
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backup content confusion

Post by veremin »

May I ask you what particularly are you willing to get? Only the latest backup archived to tape in the form of full backup?
redhorse
Expert

Post by redhorse »

v.Eremin wrote:May I ask you what particularly are you willing to get? Only the latest backup archived to tape in the form of full backup?
In this test my plan was to backup one full backup to tape using one specific restore point. Generally I want to backup a full backup once a week and daily increments.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

In this case you don't need to enable "Process latest full backup chain only", instead you should make a backup to tape job process both full and incremental data, schedule virtual full backup to take place on desired day, and make sure that tape job also gets executed on the same day (recommended). Thanks.
redhorse
Expert

Post by redhorse »

v.Eremin wrote:In this case you don't need to enable "Process latest full backup chain only", instead you should make a backup to tape job process both full and incremental data, schedule virtual full backup to take place on desired day, and make sure that tape job also gets executed on the same day (recommended). Thanks.
Okay, thanks! But why do I have two full backups on tape on my first run?