Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
roelvdw
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Vandewalle Roel

Unable to restore to datastore when Storage VSP is enabled

Post by roelvdw »

Hi I am testing veeam backup & replication v8 on Hyper-v

I have 2 Physical Hyper-v Stand-Alone Hosts
One is Hyper-v 2008 R2 , other is Hyper-v 2012 R2.
Both Physical Hosts have 2 NICS (1 NIC for Physical Network , 1 NIC for Virtual Network)
Storage is Direct Access on both hosts. No SAN is used.

When I try to restore a VM (OS : 2008r2) from Hyper-v 2008 R2 to Hyper-v 2012 R2 , i get the following error when i choose to restore vm "unable to restore to repository when Storage VSP is enabled"
Any sugesstion ?

Kind regards

Roel
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Unable to restore to datastore when Storage VSP is enabl

Post by veremin »

What type of repository are you using? And what type of restore are you trying to perform? Thanks.
roelvdw
Enthusiast

Post by roelvdw »

Hi

The backup repository is on the same VM as Veeam B&R v8.
I am trying to do an instant vm recovery
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Roel, you can either try to disable Hyper-V I/O balancing (not recommended) or migrate the VM holding the repository to another host (not the one you're restoring to). More solid solution would be to move away from storing backups on a VM, though.
roelvdw
Enthusiast

Post by roelvdw » 1 person likes this post

Hi

Indeed after Moving backups to physical server.
Instant vm recovery worked.
ThX for advise.

Roel
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Thanks for confirmation. The issue was caused by the fact that you were restoring to the same volume where backup repository was located, this type of restore is prevented to avoid I/O freeze of all VMs on this volume.
bwoodill
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Benjamin Woodill

Post by bwoodill »

I am having the same issue as the original poster, but I have a different setup. I contacted support and they suggested I post here. The case # is 00697007.
I have a small environment, just two hyper-v hosts. One host has a vm with backup and recovery v8 installed. All hosts and vms are 2012r2 with all updates applied. One host is dedicated to only running backup and recovery.
I dealt with pre sales and was told I should be able to have the single host running backup and recovery inside of a vm since it is a small environment. I have tried several different combinations of using different physical and logical volumes for the veeam datastore and no luck. I still get the VSP error when trying to restore from backup to the host running the vm of backup and recovery. Is there any way to get this working or alternate setup? I would like to have just one server with hyper-v and backup and recovery as a vm so that if the production server fails, I can restore the vm's to the host with the backup and recovery vm. The environment would have two hyper-v hosts total, both using internal storage.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Just to confirm, have you tried to store backups on the Hyper-V host itself (not inside the VM) and that didn't help?

A few other things that should allow to avoid the error:

- Install Veeam B&R on Hyper-V host itself.
- Use full VM restore instead of Instant Recovery.
- Temporarily disable Hyper-V I/O balancing for the time required to perform restore.
bwoodill
Novice

Post by bwoodill »

I just tried storing the backup repository on the host itself. I don't know why I didn't try that before. Now the wizard completes, but the restore fails due to "Unable to connect to Hyper-V VSS writer. Details: Writer 'Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer' is failed at 'VSS_WS_FAILED_AT_PRE_RESTORE'."
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Please let your engineer know about this error message, he will be able to perform further investigation.
bwoodill
Novice

Post by bwoodill »

Will do. Thanks for your help.
sarapinho
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Amauri Ramos

[MERGED] Surebackup VSP Error

Post by sarapinho »

Hi,

I am testing Veeam Backup & Replication v8 on Hyper-v.
- I have 1 physical Hyper-v Host Windows 2012 R2 and no SAN.
- Only local disks in RAID 5 with 2 partitions (1 with Windows and 1 with VMs)
- The backup repository is a virtual disk attached to the VM with Veeam B&R v8.

When I try to execute a SureBackup job, i get the following error:
"Unable to restore to repository when Storage VSP is enabled"

Ive seen a post saying that to solve this error i have move the repository to another host(can't do this) or disable Hyper-V IO Control, but when i disable IO Control the VM freezes and job doesn't complete.

Ref: http://forums.veeam.com/microsoft-hyper ... 24171.html

Any suggestion?

Kind regards
alanbolte
Veteran
Liked: 174 times
Full Name: Alan Bolte

Re: Surebackup VSP Error

Post by alanbolte » 1 person likes this post

Related: http://www.veeam.com/kb2028

Can you migrate the repository from a virtual disk to physical storage on the host?

Also, you're keeping your backups on the same storage as your VMs? What do you plan to do if your storage fails?
sarapinho
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Amauri Ramos

Re: Surebackup VSP Error

Post by sarapinho »

Hi Alan,

It's just a testing environment, so no problem if the storage fails.

Using the Hyper-V local disk as a backup repostory worked.

Thank You !
aschrades
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Adam Schroeder

[MERGED] Surebackup with one host?

Post by aschrades »

I have a customer that has a single 2012R2 Hyper-V host with 4 VM's. Veeam 9 is installed on one of the VM's and backs up to a Netgear ReadyNAS 314 with 4 3TB WD Red drives in RAID10. Everything works great.

I tried to configure a Surebackup job to test some restore points. I get the "cannot restore to the backup repository host when storage VSP is enabled" error. Doing some research it looks like I would need another hyper-v host to use Surebackup. Is that correct? If not, what do I have to do different?

Thanks!

-Adam
nefes
Veeam Software
Liked: 162 times
Full Name: Nikita Efes

Re: Surebackup with one host?

Post by nefes »

Another host is not the only solution for this, please take a look at this KB.
aschrades
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Adam Schroeder

Post by aschrades »

OK. If I'm reading that KB correctly there is no way to do a Surebackup job given the hardware I have available. Correct?
alanbolte
Veteran
Liked: 174 times
Full Name: Alan Bolte

Post by alanbolte »

You said you're running a NAS, so I assume that's a CIFS/SMB share.
If the repository is a CIFS/SMB share or Data Domain Boost repository:
The repository data mover must run on a Windows OS. By default, this “gateway server” will be selected automatically from among all managed Windows servers added to the backup infrastructure without regard for the limitation described in this KB. You can specify a different gateway server in the repository settings.
You can set the gateway to the share on the host, or on any other windows machine, physical or virtual, so long as the gateway is not a VM on the host running the Surebackup virtual lab. You can also disable storage VSP, but it's not recommended.
Jeryn
Lurker
Full Name: Jeryn Neill

[MERGED] Setting up a SureBackup environment for the first t

Post by Jeryn »

(Case # 03158845)

Hi,

I am looking at setting up a SureBackup environment for the first time in one of our environments. It is a small to medium environment and I followed the guide in the help center when going through the process. I ended up going with a Basic setup as everything should be on the same subnet. Once I had a basic application group, Virtual Network, and Surebackup job in place, I ran it and it ended up failing out with the following error. DC2 the server in the application group.

8/22/2018 12:52:01 PM Error [server-DC2]: Error: Cannot restore to the backup repository host when storage VSP is enabled.
8/22/2018 12:52:05 PM Error Failed to prepare VM task context
Cannot restore to the backup repository host when storage VSP is enabled.

I made a case (Case # 03158845) but wanted to also get a post here to see if I could get additional help on the issue and other questions I might run into when going through this process for the first time. The latest entry in the case determined that it might be due to the data mover service is running in a Hyper-V machine as the repository the backups are saved to is a Hyper-V Windows server referencing this KB article.

https://www.veeam.com/kb2028

Help center guide I used to set up the environment.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Hi Jeryn, possible solutions to this issue are described in this thread above as well as in the KB article you've mentioned. Thanks.
GLM
Influencer

[MERGED] Error "Cannot restore to the backup repository host when storage VSP is enabled"

Post by GLM »

Hello,

Veeam B&R v10 standard edition.

I have a Linux Debian VM running on an Hyper-V standalone host. The Veeam backup server is a Microsoft Windows Server 2016 virtual machine running also on this host. The standalone host connects thru iSCSI to a NAS device mapped as physical hard disk to the backup server. VM disks and configuration files are in local RAID storage, not in the NAS.

When trying to restore guest files of the Linux VM the FLR appliance selected by default is not the Hyper-V standalone host, but a node of a remote Hyper-V cluster. So I choose the Customize option to select the local standalone host but after "Validating host" I get the following error: Cannot restore to the backup repository host when storage VSP is enabled.

I know this error arises when trying to restore to the same volumen where the backup repository is located, but I think isn't the case.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards.
foggy
Veeam Software

Re: Unable to restore to datastore when Storage VSP is enabled

Post by foggy »

I believe your case still applies as the VM holding the repository resides on the same host. Please review this thread for possible workarounds.