Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
HJAdams123
Enthusiast
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Harold Adams

Veeam and the Backup of Physical Servers

Post by HJAdams123 »

Hello and Good Day Veeam Community

I just want to confirm, Veeam does not support the backup of physical servers, correct? (not wanting to bring up a discussion if you guys should or not, I just need to confirm Yes or No)

Thanks in advance!

-Harold
mongie
Expert
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Alex Macaronis

Re: Veeam and the Backup of Physical Servers

Post by mongie »

They have a separate, free (i believe) product called "Veeam Endpoint Backup" which uses a similar/the same file format for backup files and integrates "a little bit" with Veeam B&R.
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

Harold,
Yes Veeam has Veeam Endpoint Backup which is Free. It can work as a standalone backup solution for physical machines and backup to a local destination. It also integrates into an existing Backup and Replication repository as a destination for the jobs. I use Endpoint for virtual hosts, servers, and physical machines. Endpoint is not supported on Server 2003 or XP.

Cheers!
VMCE v9
HJAdams123
Enthusiast
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Harold Adams

Post by HJAdams123 »

Can Veeam Enpoint backup be used for backing up a physical Exchange server? How would that experience be versus using the full fledged Veeam Backup and Replication product backing up a virtual Exchange server? Who would I be missing using the Free product?

-Harold
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

Yes Endpoint can backup a physical Exchange server and it will automatically truncate the logs upon completion of the backup.

If you had no B&R repositories and just used Endpoint, you will need a network or some storage that enough space to hold the backups. It would be a straight forward backup.

If you used B&R to backup Exchange as a virtual machine you can have more scheduling options and easier management of the job as well as by default it uses the repositories. You can schedule and do things with Endpoint but it is a combonation of task scheduler or scripting. The Endpoint forum is a great place for more information as well as the main page (https://www.veeam.com/endpoint-backup-resources.html).
One thing I will say is Endpoint does have Free support with it, you can submit cases from the console and use the forums here to get direct responses.
VMCE v9
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »