Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
pkelly_sts
Veteran
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

ARRRGHHH! Backup seeds can drive you crazy!!!

Post by pkelly_sts »

*PLEASE* as a feature request can you consider building in a "Create backup seed" job type, one that will **guarantee** to create a SINGLE .bkf file specifically as that is a major requirement for seeding!

The amount of times I've tried running relatively large (circa 2tb) backups or backup copies only to come in the next day to find a 16Mb .bkf file followed by a 2tb .vib file which is completely useless & takes hours to complete!

I'm trying to get a seeded backup to a site that we only visit once per week so, for example, I tried running the (extra copy) job last night, with a time availability window that would have started /after/ yesterdays main backups, together with a (BEXec) job to copy that to tape running today (will take 6hrs or so) that one of our guys can then take to site on a scheduled visit tomorrow.

However, because the job has split the backup, I'll have to re-run it which won't allow me time to then get it to tape before this evening.

I've had this happen numerous times & it drives me crazy! :-(

As a last-resort way to get such a backup there tomorrow, is there anything I can do with a backup direct-to-tape job (in v8) given that the restore would have to be from a second B&R instance at the remote site (which I wasn't planning on - each site manages its local backup/replication jobs, sending copies to the remote site so each remote site is nothing more than a repository to each other.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: ARRRGHHH! Backup seeds can drive you crazy!!!

Post by foggy »

pkelly_sts wrote:*PLEASE* as a feature request can you consider building in a "Create backup seed" job type, one that will **guarantee** to create a SINGLE .bkf file specifically as that is a major requirement for seeding!
Paul, actually, this is an old requirement, you can use a backup copy chain with increments for seeding as well.
pkelly_sts
Veteran
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

Re: ARRRGHHH! Backup seeds can drive you crazy!!!

Post by pkelly_sts »

Oh really??? I never spotted that change! Glad I didn't delete the results of my latest copy then & have kicked off the tape job - hopefully it'll complete in time now for my colleague before he leaves today...