Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
pkelly_sts
Veteran
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

Migrating a set of repositories to new site/server

Post by pkelly_sts »

We're shrinking from 3 to two sites and the one we're losing ("Site C") is the one that currently a replica/backup copy destination for our main site "Site A". We have another site ("Site B") that will become the new destination for Site A's replicas/backup copies. Site B also has a local B&R server.

The copies/replicas on site C are sitting on a FC SAN which we will be lifting & shifting to Site B but the B&R server at Site C will not be moving with it.

Similar to an earlier question of mine, what are the implications of moving a repository & its contents to another pre-existing B&R server? Should it just be a case of calculating digests (after importing the backup files to the new "owner" B&R server) or are the other considerations to take into account?

We're having a right shuffle around and I'm just trying to minimise the impact on backups...

Paul
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Migrating a set of repositories to new site/server

Post by foggy »

That pre-existing backup server currently knows nothing about the VMs that it is going to backup copy/replicate from Site A, right? So you would have to create completely new jobs there.

Regarding replication, you would need to map the jobs to existing replicas, which will require digests re-calculation during the first run to sent only differences between the original and replica VM.

Regarding the backup copies, are you backing up VMs using the backup server in site A? What server will be responsible for the backup copy jobs after the move?
pkelly_sts
Veteran

Post by pkelly_sts »

foggy wrote:That pre-existing backup server currently knows nothing about the VMs that it is going to backup copy/replicate from Site A, right? So you would have to create completely new jobs there.
Knows nothing, correct, but it will still know nothing after the change, the jobs will continue to run at primary site.
foggy wrote:Regarding replication, you would need to map the jobs to existing replicas, which will require digests re-calculation during the first run to sent only differences between the original and replica VM.
OK, that's useful at least.
foggy wrote:Regarding the backup copies, are you backing up VMs using the backup server in site A? What server will be responsible for the backup copy jobs after the move?
Yes, and will continue to do so.

I do have a design of current & new plans in Visio, will try to find a way of attaching them here (always happy to hear of better ways of doing things!)
pkelly_sts
Veteran

Post by pkelly_sts »

Hmm, how can I attach a design .PDF doc here??
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

You can share it via dropbox or something.

So for backup copies, only repository is changed, so you can use these instructions to proceed with incremental chains.
pkelly_sts
Veteran

Post by pkelly_sts »

Thanks, I'm hoping it's fairly straightforward in practice.

Link to my current & proposed designs is at https://www.dropbox.com/s/bv0lvrzmxvyev ... 6.pdf?dl=0
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Looks solid. A little note regarding "Veeam cannot backup itself", it actually can, however this is not typically required due to configuration backup functionality.