Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
moran1328
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Marc Moran

Veeam backing up to C. Need help.

Post by moran1328 »

Hi,
I purchased a 2T usb drive so I could back up an image of my HD.
I did some test runs with Veeam on a small usb drive but ran out of space.
When I installed the 2T drive Veeam created two drives VEEANRE (F:) w/360MB and Local Disl (G:) w/ 1.2TB.
The first run worked as best I could tell but failed the next day. I think it wrote to the C drive even though I pointed it to the G drive.
I cannot see the backup data in the C drive and therefore can't delete it. I'm getting warnings about not enough disk space. I deleted the recycle bin and that gave me 1Gb of space.
Any idea how I went wrong and how to get this working.
Thanks,
Marc

Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Veeam backing up to C. Need help.

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Marc,

It seems there is not enough free space on the C volume to place the snapshot (at least according to the error on the screenshot). What are the used/free space on the C volume? Thanks
moran1328
Novice

Post by moran1328 »

The warning said there was only 300MB (if I remember correctly) I deleted the recycle bin and that freed up 1+ Gb. This morning after I restarted the PC I have 64Gb (of 256 Gb SSD) of free space which is what I recall as the amount available in the past. I haven't run Veeam yet. I have it disabled. Looks like it resolved it self.
Marc
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Mark,

If it’s a system partition as you said before you definitely need to have more free space for operating system to run properly. Check this strategies for freeing disk space they are old but still valid.
moran1328
Novice

Post by moran1328 »

Still wondering why Veeam created two drive locations. See previous screen shot.
VEEAMRE (F) @ 356MB and Drive (G) @ 1.8GB

I upgraded to a 500GB hard drive today.

Marc
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

While creating the recovery media on the USB disk it allocates first small partition (VeeamRE - 356MB) as bootable for Recovery Environment. All the rest disk space is allocated as regular partition which, as it seems, you are using as backup target.