Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
clipper87
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Frank B

Win10 update history is lost after BMR

Post by clipper87 »

logged as Case # 01688736

I have 2 issues on my Surface Pro 3:

issue 1.
I have created a full backup of w10 build 10586 with all current patches.
When I do a bare metal restore the list of updates is empty in modern i/f (all settings/update & security/advanced options/view your update history. In control panel/programs&features/installed updates I do see updates (but not firmware updates (surface Pro 3) , I don't know if those were listed befiore the restore; would have to test that)

issue 2.
After bare metal restore the setting "give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows" is unchecked whereas it was checked when I created the image. (all settings/update & security/advanced options)

I logon to w10 on my surface Pro 3 with a local account NOT a Microsoft account.

Anybody else seeing this ? Would there be other settings that could be affected ?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Win10 update history is lost after BMR

Post by Dima P. »

Hello,

I can imagine the update history might be erased due windows temp folders being excluded from the backup by default to make the backup file more lightweight. However, the auto updates should not be turned off since it’s completely not related to backup. Thanks for opening the case - I've asked QA team to check the described behavior.
clipper87
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Frank B

Post by clipper87 »

I wonder if the setting "give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows" is erased because maybe no other Microsoft software such as for example Office is present on the system? I doubt it but could be worthwhile to investigate. Thx
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Might be. In addition, this option may not be enabled in the backup that was used for recovery. We double checked with QA and was not able to reproduce the said behavior; most probably, Microsoft software changed this option (at least from what I’ve heard their auto update policy keeps changing from time to time) Thanks for submitting this issue anyway!