Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
UT2015
Expert
Liked: 1 time

Failed to backup file

Post by UT2015 »

Hi all,

we have the problem that sometimes an endpoint backup finishes with warnings. The warning itself says "Failed to backup [filename]".

The logfile of the Job states the same:

Code: Select all

[03.02.2016 21:58:52] <44> Info           [AP] (ac25) output: --asyncNtf:--wn:Failed to backup [filename]
[03.02.2016 21:58:52] <29> Info           [AP] (4968) output: --asyncNtf:--wn:Failed to backup [filename]
[03.02.2016 21:58:52] <45> Info           [AP] (e513) output: --asyncNtf:--wn:Failed to backup [filename]
[03.02.2016 21:58:52] <44> Info                   [AP] (ac25) warning: Failed to backup [filename]
[03.02.2016 21:58:52] <29> Info                   [AP] (4968) warning: Failed to backup [filename]
[03.02.2016 21:58:52] <45> Info                   [AP] (e513) warning: Failed to backup [filename]
[03.02.2016 21:58:52] <29> Warning  Failed to backup [filename]
What does this mean? The file was probably not accessed by any other application at that time, so what is the actual problem?

Regards,
UT2015
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Failed to backup file

Post by PTide »

Hi,

May I ask some questions?

1. What kind of file is that?
2. Where does the file reside at?
3. How big is it?

Thank you.
UT2015
Expert

Post by UT2015 »

Hi,

1. It is a file belonging to a backup of a different VM environment, which cannot be directly backed up by our B+R (essentials). The procedure is:
- a) VM environment backs up to share on Server A with VMware data recovery
- b) some other physical servers back up to Veeam repository on Server A with endpoint backup
- c) Server A actually backs up itself (Veeam repository excluded) to the Veeam repository with endpoint backup
- d) Veeam B+R running on Server A backs up Veeam repository to tape
- Step c fails sometimes while reading files of the VMware data recovery (which is not active at that moment).

2. The file is located on a local drive in a not too long path: F:\external_backup\VMwareDataRecovery\BackupStore\000\slab-930

3. The size is approx. 1 GB.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Although your configuration is quite tricky I can't find an explanation why the backup fails. Please open a case with our support team. Aslo may I ask you why your VM can't be backed up with B&R?

Thank you.
UT2015
Expert

Post by UT2015 »

We cannot backup the VMs with B&R, because of our license. We have Backup essentials including B&R. We are only allowed to backup VMs running on 6 CPU sockets. We are backing that VMware environment up with B&R. But we have a second (older) VMware environment with another 3 hosts and cannot back that up with the essentials license.

That's why we still need to additionally use VMware Data Recovery appliance.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Is there anything else except B&R and shared folder on Server A? Have you thought about virtualizing it so B&R could backup itself? I think that would simplify the whole schema.

Anyway I still suggest you to open case with support and post your case ID here.

Thank you.
UT2015
Expert

Post by UT2015 »

Hi,

the physical Server A does not only contain B&R but also VCenter. The Server A has a lot of diskspace, because we are backing up our virtual environment to disk first and in a second step to tape. So I think it won't make sense to virtualize that Server.

We have made very bad experience with Veeam Support. We did open 2 Support cases so far. We gave a detailed description of our problem to the Support in both cases from the beginning, but the Support Team actually didn't even completely read our description and asked several times for information, which they already got before.

We stopped the first case and found a solution on our own. The second case was not solved by the Support Team, they just played along with us and told us that the (in our opinion severe bug) will sometime be fixed in a future version of B&R (The Backup browser actually has a severe bug: If files/folders from guest operating systems are not restored to the original location, but copied to a different location (via "CopyTo" in backup browser), the names of the files and folders are changed by B&R! Leading dots are removed, which occur e.g. in configuration files of eclipse IDE. A backup solution must never change contents or names of files!)

That's why I don't really want to open a Support case...
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

We did open 2 Support cases so far.
May I ask you to provide case IDs for purpose of improving customer experience?
That's why I don't really want to open a Support case...
Have you tried to escalate the case ("Talk to manager" button)?
The Backup browser actually has a severe bug: If files/folders from guest operating systems are not restored to the original location, but copied to a different location (via "CopyTo" in backup browser), the names of the files and folders are changed by B&R! Leading dots are removed, which occur e.g. in configuration files of eclipse IDE. A backup solution must never change contents or names of files!)
Will pass this to our QA team for deeper investigation.

Thank you!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi UT2015,
F:\external_backup\VMwareDataRecovery\BackupStore\000\
One more question: does the VEB account has full access (read/write permissions) to access this folder? Check if this folder is accessible while logged in under the user account with running VEB
UT2015
Expert

Post by UT2015 »

May I ask you to provide case IDs for purpose of improving customer experience?
I will post them as soon as I get them (from my colleague).
Have you tried to escalate the case ("Talk to manager" button)?
No we did not. We wrote twice in the mails that it is an important function for us, but that did not change anything.
It is easily reproducable.
One more question: does the VEB account has full access (read/write permissions) to access this folder? Check if this folder is accessible while logged in under the user account with running VEB
I don't unterstand that question. I think VEB is running with the local SYSTEM account which is of course able to access all local files (edit: SYSTEM is contained in ACL of given file and has full Access). The credentials used in VEB are only used to store the backup in the Veeam repository?
UT2015
Expert

Post by UT2015 »

The Backup browser actually has a severe bug: If files/folders from guest operating systems are not restored to the original location, but copied to a different location (via "CopyTo" in backup browser), the names of the files and folders are changed by B&R! Leading dots are removed, which occur e.g. in configuration files of eclipse IDE. A backup solution must never change contents or names of files!
The bug is still existing in V9.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

UT2015,

Did you manage to get the support case ID by any chance? I'll check with QA team regarding previously submitted bug and follow up shortly.
UT2015
Expert

Post by UT2015 »

The case # is 01207808.

We reported that bug 4 months (!) ago.

This is in our opinion a severe bug. It can be reproduced very easy:
- create a file named ".test" in a VM
- backup the VM
- restore guest file
- copy file to a different location than source location
- file will be copied but renamed to "test" (without leading dot)

File names with leading dots are allowed in Windows and they are e.g. used by Eclipse Java IDE.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

UT2015,

Thank you for the heads up. I was able to find the case and related bug – discussing it with QA team now.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi UT2015,

I was told that there is a solid workaround. Run a File Level Recovery, then minimize the backup browser and navigate to C:\VeeamFLR (the folder used for mounting you backup). Then just drag and drop the needed files from the backup to the desired directory – the file name should remain untouched.
UT2015
Expert

Post by UT2015 »

We know that workaround.

But nevertheless this is a bug which has not been fixed for months now...
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

UT2015,

Can you elaborate why the described workaround is not an option for you? Thanks
UT2015
Expert

Post by UT2015 »

Can you elaborate why the described workaround is not an option for you?
Because it is a workaround.

I want to use the integrated "copy to" function in the software I paid for and I cannot understand why this essential function has not been fixed for months now.

To other users, which do not know that workaround, it can happen that they accidentally restore data wrongly, because Veeam does change it (the filenames)!
UT2015
Expert

Post by UT2015 »

The failure described in the first post has occured again.

We opened support case ID# 01789152.
UT2015
Expert

Post by UT2015 »

The Backup browser actually has a severe bug: If files/folders from guest operating systems are not restored to the original location, but copied to a different location (via "CopyTo" in backup browser), the names of the files and folders are changed by B&R! Leading dots are removed, which occur e.g. in configuration files of eclipse IDE. A backup solution must never change contents or names of files!)
You passed this in 02/2016 (!) to your QA Team.

That bug is still existing in all backup browsers, used in Backup & Replication 9.5U2 and also in Veeam Agent for Windows 2.0.

This is a severe bug which probably can be fixed quite simple.

We gave you a straight description how to easily reproduce the bug:
- create a file named ".test" in a VM
- backup the VM
- restore guest file
- copy file to a different location than source location
- file will be copied but renamed to "test" (without leading dot)
It can also easily be reproduced by restoring individual files with a leading dot in filename in Veeam Agent for Windows.

It is very disappointing how this is handled by Veeam Team!

Best regards,
UT2015
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi UT2015,

Unfortunately, this behavior remains the same in existing version.
This is a severe bug which probably can be fixed quite simple.
According to QA the fix is not easy – we must implement the special character checks based on operating system you are restoring to. That is the reason why the fix is delayed but we do have plans to implement it anyway.
UT2015
Expert

Post by UT2015 »

I don't quite understand, why filenames have to be adjusted at all when restoring. The files are mounted into the local filesystem the correct way and are changed when restoring. I don't want my backup software to change any file names!

Nevertheless it's absolutely disappointing and inacceptable how the Veeam Team handles requests to fix bugs. We planned to use Agent for Windows to backup >100 Clients. We will not do that with Veeam anymore.

Best regards,
UT2015
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

During recovery we create a new file and must obey the character limitations of the operating system otherwise the file creation fails. Frankly speaking we are in the situation where file level recovery either fails or modifies the file name (deletes the forbidden character) and succeeds in recovery. We went the second road.
UT2015
Expert

Post by UT2015 »

Why should the filename not be allowed when restoring a file to the original location? It existed with that name before so it can be assumed that it is valid.

Why does Veeam not allow filenames with leading dots? They are actually allowed in Windows OS!

If Veeam for what reasons ever does change anything when restoring, it should at least inform the user about that.

As I said before: We have many Java developers using Eclipse IDE. They have lots of filenames with leading dots on their workstations. Because of that misbehavior of Veeam (IMHO) we cannot use Veeam for backing up the clients up.

Best regards,
UT2015
UT2015
Expert

Post by UT2015 »

No comments on that?

I still can't understand why a backup solution is actively changing contents (namely names of files) during restore...

Best regards,
UT2015
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi UT2015,

I agree that this behavior is unexpected and should be fixed. I’ll check the status of this bug on Monday and update this thread with results. Meanwhile, I asked support team to create a KB.

EDIT: KB has been published.