Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
skrause
Veteran
Liked: 105 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Question about Enterprise Manager v9

Post by skrause »

Hello,

We have a somewhat complex Veeam setup which I am planning on doing a bit of re-architecting when we upgrade to version 9. I read in a guide someone posted that you want to make sure to upgrade Enterprise Manager to version 9 first before hitting your B&R servers.

My question is, if I upgrade Enterprise Manager to 9 but leave the B&R components at Version 8 for a month or so while I figure out my upgrade plan, will that cause any issues? We really are only using Enterprise Manager for licensing, last 24hour job success/warning/error report emails, and secondary encryption key functionality.
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect
tpayton
Veeam Software
Liked: 81 times
Full Name: Tyler Payton

Re: Question about Enterprise Manager v9

Post by tpayton »

If Enterprise Manager and Veeam Backup & Replication are on separate servers there should be no issue to my knowledge. If however EM and VBR are on the same server there might be some issues (seen a couple of cases for previous versions).
Tyler Payton
Customer Experience Manager / KB Manager
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Veeam backup server and Enterprise Manager can be installed on the same machine with no problems and you should be able to keep your v8 install of the backup server with Enterprise Manager v9.
Peejay62
Expert
Liked: 37 times
Full Name: Peter Jansen

Post by Peejay62 »

I too wish to already upgrade my EM to v9, leaving B&R at V8. As I understand it this is no problem? I started the upgrade a little while ago and the EM install requests a V9 license key. This will not impact on my current v8 licensed environment? I am at this moment a bit reluctant supplying the key to the install, not knowing what will happen once I have the V9 EM (with a V9 license) up and running. Will it try to push/validate against the v8 licensed B&R servers and then maybe lead me into license problems? It's a pity I don't have a test environment for this. Any ideas on this?

thanks, Peter
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Veeam B&R v8 and EM v9 can co-exist with no issues. Once you install new license for EM, it will stop pushing it to v8 backup server, so the latter will continue using v8 license.