Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jlamasm
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jose Manuel

PROBLEM WITH VCLOUD

Post by jlamasm »

Hello

I have an external vcloud with a company which is called acens c when I try to add a new vcloud director site and I write my username , password and web site and , It has been imposible to connect ,

I have been working with a Veeam Technical in my case and We have been connected with an administrator of Acens in order to fix the problem. The enginner of veeam said I had to open a new forum with this information and I had to give my number case , case number: 01194049. I think that veeam needs to do something . Besided in this own server I could connect to my cloud since Vcloud connector from my Vsphere Client.

All information and captures are avaible in this case number but if you need extra information , you only have to ask for it.

Thank you so much
millardjk
Expert
Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Jim Millard

Re: PROBLEM WITH VCLOUD

Post by millardjk »

Is Acens giving you access to the vCenter that's providing resources to your OrgVDC, and is all that "stuff" accessible via VPN/MPLS or other private, routed network? You *cannot* use Veeam with a service provider's vCD environment where you have no more access than as a tenant organization with one or more OrgVDCs provisioned.
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

I was going to ask the same as Jim, sounds like you want to use the tenant credentials to connect and protect a vCloud VDC. This is not possible, it's eventually the provider that will have to use Veeam and backup virtual machines for you.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
tbaz
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by tbaz »

Hello guys, I am support engineer who is handling the case of jlamasm

I will try to explain this problem.

For some security purpose VCD provider doesn't permit the full access to the jlamasm's credential for REST API base URL (i believe because they have specialized http://www.cloudavanzado.com only for their own administration)

Instead provider asks to use the whole http link to access the VCD containers like this: https://www.cloudavanzado.com/cloud/org/User's login
Of course Veeam fails to do so.

As i figured out, there is no way to get some solution in future releases, is it?
If it so, we need some sort of public confirmation for the VCD provider that Veeam is designed to work this way and it won't touch anything concerning the other user's containers. Thanks in advance.
millardjk
Expert
Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Jim Millard

Post by millardjk » 1 person likes this post

vCloud Director has (essentially) two different security databases, one associated with the vCloud management itself (call it the cell owner or service provider) and one associated with each tenant organization. Each of those contexts can be configured for different security authorities (eg, local, LDAP, Active Directory, etc), which allows a tenant to associate their vCloud organization with their own Active Directory while the Service Provider uses a different AD. Pretty clever when you think about it.

The vCD web interface "knows" which security context (and therefore which security authorities) to use based on the URL. When you append "/cloud/org" to the URL, you're going into the tenant security context; this means you are NOT working with the vCD management/administration, which--along with vCenter access--is a necessary requirement for Veeam's API interaction with vCloud Director. It's a limitation in Veeam, yes--the product was written to use the administrative access--but it's not a failing of Veeam: the tenant APIs are insufficient to restoring a VM from a backup. IMO, Veeam could use the existing client/tenant APIs, but it would have a fraction of the capability of the full admin access--essentially import/export of the VM, not a real backup--but the effort involved in making those features greatly outweighs the number of Veeam users that would utilize them.
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Still I don't get what the user is trying to achieve. Regardless the security context, unless the provider also gives the customer access to the underlying vCenter and the possibility to deploy at least one proxy, no backup can be done.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1