Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
haggren
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jesper H

Backup Copy Job - how to schedule

Post by haggren »

Hi guys,

I have read the documentation 20 times - I have created a support-case, and the friendly supporter just don't answer my questions. I trying the forum now, hoping that one of you brilliant minds are able to help me understand.
First of: We have a running Veeam enviroment on version 8 with latest patch... We are running backup every night and it works great.

My Question:

Now for extra security I have set up a GNU/Linux Debian 8 box with 6TB storage on another location (at our office-location - production enviroment is a remote DataCenter) and wants to do a "Backup Copy" in order to have a secondary remote backup. Setup went well, Backup Copy Job runs fine...

HOWEVER: I do not want the Backup Copy Job to run daily, but only during the weekend, and I simply cannot understand how to setup the scheduling for this.
Weekend mean: saturday 8.00 (am) to sunday 11:59 (pm). When we get to the weekend I would like one restore point (the latest - from friday night) copied.

The Veeam supporter told me to setup the copy job interval to 6 days and the enable the weekend timespan under schedule:

and:

I have yet to test it out, however still, I want to understand why I need to set this interval to 6 days? How come there is not an option to (re)start the copy job every saturday morning at 8am ?

Can anyone explain to me the logic here? What is it I'm missing?

Thanks in Advance.

/Jesper
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup Copy Job - how to schedule

Post by foggy »

Jesper, I'd configure it to sync every 7 days and create the job on Friday a few minutes later than your regular backup job starts and enable backup copy forward lookup. This way the backup copy will immediately start to monitor the backup job and copy data once it creates new restore point.

Or, if you cannot be at your desk that late, create it at any convenient time but specify the allowed hours as support engineer has told you to do (in this case, forward lookup is not required).
haggren
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jesper H

Post by haggren »

Hi Foggy, Ii will try it out... I'll get back to you with the result :-) Thanks.
kte
Expert
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Koen Teugels

Post by kte »

Another question do you restart the copy job interval before or after a you start a backup job? If you want to have the latest restore point on the copy site?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Koen,
If you set the synchronization interval in minutes or hours, Veeam Backup & Replication runs the backup copy process in cycles, one following another.
If you set the synchronization interval to one or several days, VBR requires that you define the start time for the synchronization interval. This start time acts as a milestone, or control point for the backup copy process.
Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

kte wrote:Another question do you restart the copy job interval before or after a you start a backup job? If you want to have the latest restore point on the copy site?
It depends on whether the currently available latest restore point in the source repository was already copied. However, if forward lookup is enabled, you can trigger Sync Now at any time, the job will wait for the new restore point to be created and then start copying it.