Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
marius roma
Veteran
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Mario

Full vs Incremental backup

Post by marius roma »

I installed VEB on the PC of a friend.
It works fine but I noticed a very strange behavior.
It looks like after an initial full backup and about 20 incremental backup a new full backup was performed some days ago and later 4 incremental backup.
As the number of restore points to keep was confngured to be 8, it is normal (?) that the original full backup is never removed.
I had a similar problem on my B&R v7 environment, but there I can say how frequently a full backup should be performed, while VEB gives no option to configure full backup (is it correct)?
I reduced the number of restore points to keep to 4, and I hope that tonight the old full backup will be removed.
If the old full backup is not removed, how can I force removing/consolidating it?
The chain of backup looks integer, as if I try to restore a file I can go back to tie initial full backup...
How can I troubleshoot and solve thi issue?
Regards
marius
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Re: Full Vs. incremental backup

Post by JaxIsland7575 » 1 person likes this post

I would verify that the amount of backups matches the Retention Policy that you have specified. I believe you can manually remove the backup files older than the last full without breaking the chain.

I would submit a case through the Control Panel before deleting anything to verify that it will not break the backup chain though.

Cheers!
VMCE v9
marius roma
Veteran
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Mario

Post by marius roma »

Thank you for your message.
As ther PC is not mine I am not sure I can submit a case via CP.
Anyawy, I understand that if the latest full backup is older that the retention policy I can remove the older files including the initial full backup. is it correct?
Regards
Marius
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

If you have two full backup files and the older one has not been modified but the newer full backup modified date is current than I would guess that the older file is not being used in the backup chain. Each time the backup runs it should update the modified date of the full backup file. You "should" be able to remove those older files without breaking the new chain that was created.
VMCE v9
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

As the number of restore points to keep was configured to be 8
Important to understand that the retention option is to Keep restore points for the last <N> days when computer was used - it’s not the actual number of restore points. Therefore, you might have more than one backup per day (due events/manual start etc)
I had a similar problem on my B&R v7 environment, but there I can say how frequently a full backup should be performed, while VEB gives no option to configure full backup (is it correct)?
VEB backup mode is forever incremental, so you always have one full backup followed by increments.
I reduced the number of restore points to keep to 4, and I hope that tonight the old full backup will be removed.
Reducing the retention value would take effect after next job run.