Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
RyGy7
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Shawn

cannot backp to internal disk

Post by RyGy7 »

OK, I understand why you wouldn't want to backup to the local disk that might fail. But what about the event where its a second disk? or in my case an iSCSI drive that appears to winodows as F:\

This seems like it should work and short sited by Veeam, or am I missing something?

Edit: I can backup volume but not the entire computer...I would like to be able to do a bare metal restore, i haven't tested based just on a volume.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: cannot backp to internal disk

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Shawn,

If you still want to backup entire system to the internal drive, you can go to Volume Level backup mode and just select all volumes in the system. I believe that should do it, but keep in mind that this is not a recommended approach.
RyGy7
Influencer

Post by RyGy7 »

Thanks Dima, by not recommended......does that mean my restore might now work? It's kinda a large drive so hard to test without spending some $$$ on a new drive.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

It’s not recommended because if your system crashes due the hard drive being corrupted you will lose the backup files as well (i.e. do not keep all eggs in one basket rule)
RyGy7
Influencer

Post by RyGy7 »

an iscsi SAN is not local to the machine.....it only appears that way to the OS.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Then you are good to go. If there was a possibility to select the Entire computer, your iSCSI volume should be included into backup (because it appears as a local volume for OS) and since it’s a backup location I don’t think you would like to backup the backup location, right?