Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
readie
Expert
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Bob Eadie

No Advanced Maintenance option in Replica Jobs?

Post by readie »

Just noticed that I have a couple of very old replicas, and thought that I had set the 'delete old VMs after XXX days'. Then I noticed that this option is only available for Backup jobs, and not in Replica jobs . . . so I have to go and do this removal manually.
Is this by design, and for a good reason, or can I ask for this as a feature request?
Bob Eadie
Computer Manager at Bedford School, UK (since 1999).
Veeam user since 2009.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: No Advanced Maintenance option in Replica Jobs?

Post by foggy »

Bob, this setting is not displayed in the replication job wizard, however can be set via PowerShell.
readie
Expert
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Bob Eadie

Post by readie »

Ahhh!! Powershell. I try to avoid if I possibly can, but maybe, if it's the only way.

[Edit] Actually braved it, and ran the first bit of the Powershell, which tells me that RetainDays is 14. So does that mean that, even though I can't see it in the GUI, it IS doing what I want and removing stale VMs after 14 days? (I don't at this stage want to change the default of 14.)
Bob Eadie
Computer Manager at Bedford School, UK (since 1999).
Veeam user since 2009.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

To the best of my knowledge this will not be performed, since this option is not exposed in the UI. Deleting VMs from the infrastructure can be a very tricky thing (for example, VM could be in a failover state), so right now you should do it manually.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

In fact, yes, this setting does not have any effect in case of replication (and that's why it is hidden in UI). The corresponding message in the job session log is displayed while the replica VM exists in Veeam B&R console and is there just to make you aware that you have a replica VM that is not in sync with any production VM anymore. So to get rid of the message (in case you need to keep the replica VM for some reason), you can just remove it from there (using the Remove from Replicas command).