Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Rasmus7700
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Rasmus Balle

Backup to remote help?

Post by Rasmus7700 »

Hello.
I was wondering, what the best solution for me would be.
I'm planning to backup a file server (Server2012R2) to a remote placed NAS.
I'm only doing incremential backups every night, so the data amount should be around 10gb i think.

After reading around, seems like there's a lot of different solutioins, and i'm a bit confused on following - so please help me clarify :)

I've read about the following solutions:

-Just set the backup to backup directly to the remote nas, mounted as a mapped drive in Windows, this should Work, i'm just a bit curious about how Veeam will react on the slow data transfer to the NAS.

- Another solution is to backup to a "local" storage first, then set something up to move the incremential backup file to a remote storage afterwards, is this something Veeam can handle? and what happens when the incremental backup is moved from the place where Veeam thinks it should be?

- Set up a Veeam Proxy? This handles the traffic?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Backup to remote help?

Post by PTide »

Hi and welcome to the community!
Just set the backup to backup directly to the remote nas, mounted as a mapped drive in Windows
It's recommended to place a gateway server at the remote site in case a remote NAS is used as a repo.
- Another solution is to backup to a "local" storage first, then set something up to move the incremential backup file to a remote storage afterwards, is this something Veeam can handle?
Right, that's called Backup Copy Job and is definitely a way to go, especially if you have slow connection between sites.
and what happens when the incremental backup is moved from the place where Veeam thinks it should be?
Not sure what you mean, please elaborate.

Thank you!
Rasmus7700
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Rasmus Balle

Post by Rasmus7700 »

Right, that's called Backup Copy Job and is definitely a way to go, especially if you have slow connection between sites.
Can the Endpoint Backup Free handle this? Or the Essentials edition?
Not sure what you mean, please elaborate.
I mean, if Veeam is backing up to a location, and then i move the files manually with some kind of a script - will Veeam not do another Full backup, since all the incremental files is gone?
Else the backup takes a lot of storage....
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Can the Endpoint Backup Free handle this? Or the Essentials edition?
I'm sorry, it slipped from my mind that you were asking about Veeam Endpoint. There is no Backup Copy Job in Endpoint but you can integrate your Endpoint with VBR and utilize Backup Copy Jobs for your Endpoint Backups. Please note that no Backup Copy Jobs are available in a free version of VBR.
will Veeam not do another Full backup, since all the incremental files is gone?
If you manually delete/move any of the increments the job will fail.