Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
PMB_CTN
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Replication of built-in configuration backup job

Post by PMB_CTN »

Hello,
I would like to replicate the built-in /default configuration backup job from my primary Veeam B&R server to a secondary Veeam B&R server that I have set up at my DR site. How do I do this? Bandwidth is a concern. I only want the [incremental deltas/changes of the] newest daily configuration backup job replicated. [Not *.bco]
File Copy option replicates the full folder across to the DR site every time. File copy option does not check what is in/at the destination folder before doing the file copy operation. So it does not ONLY copy the incremental delta changes but everything from source folder to destination folder.
I would prefer to have the built-in configuration backup job replicated via Veeam instead of using various different technologies for replication.
I can do this via Microsoft DFS and it will only replicate the changes, and since the product is Veeam backup and REPLICATION, I hope it is not too difficult to efficiently replicate something as critical as the configuration backup. :wink:
Thank you
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Replication of built-in configuration backup job

Post by veremin »

There is no built-in replication job for configuration backup. So, having some file copy utility that takes care about replicating those files is recommended, indeed. Thanks.
PMB_CTN
Influencer

Post by PMB_CTN »

This functionality is still not available and we're on v9 already... :shock:
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Configuration backups are not usually big, so synchronized file copy backup should do the job. I`m not sure if were even planning the replication of configuration.
Thanks!
PMB_CTN
Influencer

Post by PMB_CTN »

Shestakov wrote:Configuration backups are not usually big, so synchronized file copy backup should do the job. I`m not sure if were even planning the replication of configuration.
Thanks!
As I mentioned, bandwidth is a concern, and with a months worth [30] of daily configuration backups that amounts to almost 1Gb to copy to the DR site on a daily basis. That is a waste of the metered link connection that we have to our DR site.
Is it that difficult to allow replication of the default configuration backup job to only replicates the incremental deltas???
Please regard this as an official feature request for further investigation.

Thanks
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

I believe that is not that difficult to implement that. The question if our users really need it.

What is the size of single configuration backup file? As I understood it`s around 30 MB.
Do you change your configuration daily, so you need daily configuration backups?
Thanks!