Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Ethopower
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Adam Reinholdson

Backup Job To Backup Exec 2014

Post by Ethopower »

Hi- Folks.
I need help understanding how to Backup to a tape for Archiving and how to restore from the tape.

As of right now this is my scenario:

Hypervisor= ESXi 5.5 in a 3 host cluster.
VM= ~15
Storage= VNX5300 (Block)
Backup server= Veeam7 B&R (Virtual) *Created one job to backup the cluster*
Proxies= Same as the Veeam Server (Virtual)
Repository= Same as the Veeam Server and Proxies. But on a different Volume-Disk/LUN
Tape= Backup Exes Appliance that has Robotic library attached to it.

Right now we're using Backup Exec to backup the Repository Volume to tape. My question is how would i be able to restore from the tape job without restoring the entire Repository? From what i am understanding i will lose my restore points that have been saved and would have to go back to whenever that backup tape was taken. We do have physical severs that we backup using Backup Exes.

New Scenario is about the same other few changes:

Backup Server= Veeam9 B&R (Virtual) *Created a Job for each VM's*

I know i can directly attach Tape Library to Veeam Server if its physical but in my scenario our server is a virtual. How would i go about attaching the library to one of the ESXi hosts without conflicting with the Backup Exec Appliance?

I know i probably miss some info. Please ask if you do need more info or just don't understand what i am saying :D

Your help is appreciated!
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Backup Job To Backup Exec 2014

Post by PTide »

Hi and welcome to the community.
My question is how would i be able to restore from the tape job without restoring the entire Repository?
No need to restore the whole repository, you'll need to restore only the chain that contains your VM.
I know i can directly attach Tape Library to Veeam Server if its physical but in my scenario our server is a virtual. How would i go about attaching the library to one of the ESXi hosts without conflicting with the Backup Exec Appliance
Can you connect your library directly to VM via iSCSI or FC? If not then you'll need to setup a simple physical machine that will act as a tape server.

Thank you.