Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Anguel
Expert
Liked: 18 times

Feature Request - Destination option for standalone cmd line

Post by Anguel »

Hi!

First of all I would like to thank Veeam for adding the standalone command line backup option.

Now I would like to kindly ask Veeam to add an optional destination parameter for this standalone backup, e.g.:

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\Veeam\Endpoint Backup\Veeam.EndPoint.Manager.exe" /standalone -destination="D:\Somefolder"
where D: is some USB or lokal drive.

Of course, incrementals, deduplication, etc. are wonderful things, but believe me - people sleep better when they have an additional full standalone backup of their workstation sitting on a lokal or USB drive. Software is made by humans and the more complex it gets, the more problems can occur. This may even apply for Veeam ;-)

Additionally, I think that this option can "solve" the other feature request about multiple backup jobs many people would like to have here in the forum.

So please add the destination option and we can finally move away from buggy Symantec. If Veeam Endpoint can do this for our workstations, we would immediately buy Veeam Backup & Replication (although we are a small business running only one VM).

We are really looking forward to see this feature soon :-)

Anguel
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature Request - Destination option for standalone cmd

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Anguel,

Thank you for your post. Are you looking for a CMD solution only or you would like to see the UI option as well? Also I am interested, if you are going to use it for backing up to shared folder destinations or USB devices only.
We are really looking forward to see this feature soon
You will see it soon :wink:
Anguel
Expert

Post by Anguel » 1 person likes this post

Hi Dima and thank you for the fast reply!

UI would be nice of course, I just thought that command line would be easier / faster for you to implement :-)
We have desktops here which came with HDDs but were upgraded to SSDs so we would like to use those internal HDDs as well as USB drives for backups instead of just wasting them. I think many companies have big old HDDs around :-)
Of course shared folders would be nice too, e.g. for laptops :-)
It may sound old-fashioned but standalone full backups for our workstations are a "must have" for me. This is why we still use Symantec System Recovery which actually offers wonderful flexibility IF it worked flawlessly.

BTW, Veeam B&R or Backup Essentials for my case look very promising if they can be integrated with Veeam Endpoint Backup but I still have to test how well this works.
One question: If B&R has deduplication there is probably no big need for incrementals or am I mistaken? If this is really the case, one could also put the standalone backups to B&R as they will be merged by deduplication anyway and do the incrementals on the local / USB drives - would that be an option?

Update: I see that Veeam's deduplication is "per job" whatever that means, so maybe this will not work the way I described.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Anguel,
Thanks for the detailed explanation - it helps alot!
Update: I see that Veeam's deduplication is "per job" whatever that means, so maybe this will not work the way I described.
That’s true – there is no deduplication between jobs, but you can always set up Windows 2012R2 with dedup option enabled and use it as a central repository for endpoint jobs. Other deduplication solutions might work as well.
Anguel
Expert

Post by Anguel » 1 person likes this post

Thanks a lot, Dima. I will start my B&R trial ASAP. I expect a lot of space savings due to deduplication as most workstations have the same software installed.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Glad to hear! Let us know if you have any further questions or need any help with the setup. Cheers.
Anguel
Expert

Post by Anguel »

Unfortunately there is not only no deduplication between VEB jobs but it also looks like VEB jobs are fixed to forever forward incrementals which are very bad candidates for deduplication :-(
Anguel
Expert

Post by Anguel »

After some discussion in a VBR thread I have now added a feature request for normal forward incrementals:
veeam-endpoint-backup-f33/feature-reque ... 33017.html