Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Dennis_VW
Influencer
Liked: never

Merged VBK not put to tape

Post by Dennis_VW »

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out why some VBK files are not saved to tape.
If i pick 3 backups from the jobs that are running:
All 3 have Forever Forward Incremental enabled, the backup to disk log shows 'Full backup file merged succesfully' for all three.

But when running a tape job 2 report "Source backup files detected VBK:0 VIB:0"
The other job one is picking up 1 VBK.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Merged VBK not put to tape

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Please describe your Backup to Tape job settings in details.

Thank you.
Dennis_VW
Influencer
Liked: never

Post by Dennis_VW »

We were using a different tape product, but moved to VeeAm for tape backups about 2 weeks ago.
Still learning on the (tape)job, so we just created a Backups to Tape job with Full and incrementals.

We have to much data, or the weekend is to short to backup all data to disk and to tape in 1 weekend, the traditional way.
So i've set some backups to Forever Forward Incrementals.
In my excitement last week i forgot to check the retention, so some backups only create a VIB, without updating the VBK.

This weekend, before the backups started, i've changed the retention for some to 2.
When those backups where running i've change the retention backup to a higher level.

Here we talk about the 3 backups I mentioned in my first post.
The disk to tape backups merged the VIBs to the VBK, but I think VeeAm might be smarter then me and the Backup to Tape backup jobs checks the configured retention in the backup to disk jobs when they start.

When looking to the 3 backup jobs. For 2 of them i've changed the retention as mentoned above.
All 3 merged the first VIB into the VBK, but only the one for which I didn't changed the retention during the backup the VBK was set to tape.

Last night i've done the same retention trick, but didn't changed it backup during the job and now it recognized the updated VBK's and they are set to tape
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

So, does everything now work as expected or not? If yes, there must have been some intermittent problems caused by retention reconfiguration. Especially when you setup 2 as a number of restore points source backup job should keep.

In case of forward forever incremental jobs used as a source for tape job, it's recommended to specify retention greater than 2, as otherwise there will be certain issues, like full backup being copied to tapes on everyday basis, etc.

Thanks.