Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
cividan
Influencer
Liked: never

Veeam backup with SRM

Post by cividan »

Hi, we use SRM for our DR solution which create "STUB" of protected vm in a "PlaceHolder" Datastore. we have multiple datastore and are growing constantly so I want to backup the whole cluster and exclude only the placeholder datastore but when I choose to backup the cluster and add exclusion for the placeholder datastore Veeam still try to process the fake vm created by SRM in the placeholder datastore. I do not want to have to manually edit the job each time a datastore is added or removed, I just want the placeholder datastore to be excluded. How can I achieve this?
skrause
Veteran
Liked: 105 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Re: Veeam backup with SRM

Post by skrause »

Are you running one job against your entire cluster?

You probably should separate it out into multiple jobs. If you really want to just backup "everything" without ever looking at it, make your jobs per-datastore and then don't make a job for the SRM stuff.
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect
cividan
Influencer
Liked: never

Post by cividan »

skrause wrote:Are you running one job against your entire cluster?
Yes
skrause wrote:You probably should separate it out into multiple jobs. If you really want to just backup "everything" without ever looking at it, make your jobs per-datastore and then don't make a job for the SRM stuff.
This is exactly what I said I do not want to do in my original post as datastore change frequently and we don't want to manually go into veeam everytime a new datastore is added or removed from the cluster.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

May be assign a corresponding tag to all but one datastore and use it as a source for a backup job? Thanks.
skrause
Veteran
Liked: 105 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Post by skrause »

You could make a VM folder in VMware that all of your actual VMs reside in and then point the job to that folder instead of the cluster. (Or better yet, multiple folders/multiple jobs)

But honestly, running one giant job for everything is one of the least efficient ways to set up your Veeam jobs, especially if you have a large enough environment that you are changing your datastore mappings often enough to not want to adjust your backup jobs.
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect