Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

Ad-hoc USB drive

Post by frankive »

We have a customer running Veeam B&R which saves data to a local harddrive with GFS and everything..

They want to be able to insert a usb-stick and when they leave after a few hour they want to have a full backup of the vms. (appx 100 GB VM-size)

Is there a function to activated a backup copy job as soon as a repository becomes avaiable?
In endpoint the same functionality actualles work the way this customer wants it, so was hoping the Veeam B&R also can handle this?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Ad-hoc USB drive

Post by veremin »

I think the only solution I can think of is to use a scheduled script that will check the drive availability within a predefined interval and initiate a full backup run of backup copy job once the drive goes online. Thanks.
frankive
Service Provider

Post by frankive »

I guess the best is to use 2 usb-drives and just rotate them. then a usual backup copy job against a repository which is rotating, in the advanced settings, should benefit.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

That should also do the trick. However, if my memory serves me well, if a backup copy job pointed to rotated drive finds a restore point previously created by it, it will just write an increment point instead of doing a new full backup. Something to keep in mind. Thanks.
frankive
Service Provider

Post by frankive »

Yes, I am aware of that. But that means there also must be a full backup file somehow on that usb-drive right? So in a disaster, the one usb-drive should be enought to restore from latest restore point
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Correct.