Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
erickson
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: matei sebastian Alin

full backup to tape

Post by erickson »

Hello,
How can we configure the backup job to do any time we lunch it a full backup? It will be scheduled only on sunday and we want it to do every time a full backup.
We tried to do incremental and reverse incrementa with a retention of 1 day but on second run it transfer only a small quantity of data so it is not a full backup but an incremental!
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: full backup to tape

Post by PTide »

Hi,

If you want your job to place only full backups to tape you need to go to job settings, "Incremental Backup" step, and disable "Archive incremental backups" option.

Thank you.
erickson
Enthusiast

Post by erickson »

Thanks, maybe i didn't explain myself well. On tape it makes a full backup but that full backup comes from a job that integrates the last backup because i have 2 option in backup job settigns(incremental and reverse incremental). I want to know how to configure a weekly full backup job every sunday and then i will configure a backup to tape job.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

First of all, it's not necessary to schedule a weekly full if you only want to place that full to tape. There is a special feature called "Virtual full" which allows you to construct a full backup from incremental backups and place it to tape. Best option if you don;t want to switch from forever-forward policy.

In case you need that weekly full on your primary backup repo and do not want incremental backups to appear at all you'll need to schedule a weekly veeamZIP using Windows Task Scheduler. The drawback of such approach is that you cannot perfrom application processing with veeamZIP.

If you are OK with intermediate incremental backups then go to "Storage" step in job settings, click "Advanced", check "Create synthetic full backup periodically" box, click "Days..." button, check Sunday. After that every Sunday a full backup will be created. It's also recommended to schedule a periodic Active Full, please see this page to learn about the difference between those two.

Thank you.
erickson
Enthusiast

Post by erickson »

I understand your solutions but none of them do what we want. We have this job that runs only on Sunday and we want it to do a full backup like it does on first run(download all full VM's), we don't want to download only the differences and then construct the full. Our concern is the integrity of the vm's, cpu usage of the server veeam and disk utilization when it construct the full backup. We want the backup like you suggest in the VeemZIP solution but with application processing. It's that possible? Why it does only the differences if i select only 1 restore point in retention policy?
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Why it does only the differences if i select only 1 restore point in retention policy?
That's due to CBT enabled. Disable it and that will cause your backup job to reread the whole disk during active fulls. The only way to make your job to do active full at some exact time is to trigger it via PowerShell. I'd also recommend you to setup a Backup Copy job so it can construct a separate backup chain with incremental backups.

Thank you.
erickson
Enthusiast

Post by erickson »

Thanks for all, i have some other questions :)
If i trigger the job with powershell it does it with application processing?
Do i have to modify CBTif i use powershell?If yes where do i find this option?
It will came up in the statistics so i can recive an email notification?
If i setup the tape job to run on schedule after the backup job finish it will run if the backup job is triggered with powershell?
The retention of the backup will be 1?

We have a separate daily job that do incremental backup.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

If i trigger the job with powershell it does it with application processing?
Yes. Triggering Active Full via PowerShell simply starts the job in Active Full mode using all other settings that you've specified in job settings. Actually you can use default Veeam scheduler to setup weekly fulls - schedule the job to run once a week at day X and configure Active Full to happen at the same day X. That will cause your job to produce only Active Fulls at the day X. So there is no need to use PowerShell, sorry for misguidance.
Do i have to modify CBTif i use powershell?If yes where do i find this option?
No, just configure it in job options via GUI.
It will came up in the statistics so i can recive an email notification?
Yes it will.
f i setup the tape job to run on schedule after the backup job finish it will run if the backup job is triggered with powershell?
No, it won't.
The retention of the backup will be 1?
Yes, if you specify retention equal to 1 beforehand.

However, as I've already mentioned, you don't have to use PowerShell.
erickson
Enthusiast

Post by erickson »

Ok thanks!
I'll try with a test job that run one time every day with retention 1 and active full all days of week to see if the next day will do it full!
I'll let you know. Thanks again
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

As to tape job settings, schedule it to run "as new backup files appear" and make it "Process latest full backup chain only". These settings should give you what you're after. Thanks.
erickson
Enthusiast

Post by erickson » 2 people like this post

Thanks. It work like we expected.