Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
vnavna
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Steve Vujnovich

Feature Request: Backup now option

Post by vnavna »

I would like to have the option to backup a hard drive manually without having to redo the schedule for your local PC. This would be great for backing up an esata hard drive for one time backup option.

Thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature Request: Backup now option

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Steve,

Are you looking for an option to create ad-hoc backup - or something else?
vnavna
Influencer

Post by vnavna »

I guess that you may have just answered my question. With that option does it keep the initial schedule that I created for my local PC?

Thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Yes. It creates additional backup either incremental or standalone full which is not affected by retention.
vnavna
Influencer

Post by vnavna »

Awesome, thank you for the quick response.
vnavna
Influencer

Post by vnavna »

I guess that I was wrong in thinking that was what I was looking for in an ad-hoc backup.
I would like to be able to plug in an external hard drive that I want to image and image it without having to change my scheduled backup configuration. Doing the Stand Alone backup requires that the configuration to be completed already. In this case it does not do what I would like.
Each time I want to backup an external drive I need to go through the process of recreating my backup configuration in which it then goes against my computer as a new scheduled backup. When the backup is completed on the external drive I then have to go back and reconfigure my computer's backup schedule to backup my C drive.

A one time backup would be great to be able to use.

Thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Steve,

Are you changing the source files list or it remains the same for both targets?
vnavna
Influencer

Post by vnavna »

Yes I am changing the source and destination locations for any drive that is not my current C drive. The only other issue that I have run into was that when changing my C drive schedule back to what it was originally it will create another folder directory and create a new full backup.
I have since seemed to figure out the way around that issue by selecting the directory above to put the backups that way the incremental backups will continue.

Thank you
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Understood. Indeed, with the standalone backup option you can save the source selected in the job (even if you trigger it via cmd).

However, when changing the source and the destination in the job properties you should be able to select the same destination and VEB will continue the previously started backup chain for incremental backup.