Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
SportinSS
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Antonio Loffi-Lara

Endpoint backup to cloud B&R system

Post by SportinSS »

Hey everyone! We are new to Veeam here, and are trying to find a way to displace all of our other backup products with just this one.

My biggest problem so far is that we have SEVERAL customers with ONE server, or just a workstation, and they are not virtual. We want to install Endpoint on them, but i want them to back up directly to us. I know that's not how it's designed. But i'm not sure how else to do this other than install a small backup server at each location, which doesn't really work right.

Is there a way to open the ports needed on our firewall, and have the Endpoint agents connect over the internet to us to do the backups?

Thanks,

Tony
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Endpoint backup to cloud B&R system

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and welcome Tony,

There are several ways how to achieve your goal. One is to open the ports and get the direct connection to the Veeam Backup and Replication server. For instances, some users just set the public A record for the VBR and point VEB to this ip address. The list of needed is here.

Another idea is to have a local VBR repository at every site. If you set the onsite gateway server for the repository – your backup will bypass the VBR but then you can use the backup copy jobs to move the backups to the main site.
cprfoundation
Lurker
Full Name: David Carey

Post by cprfoundation »

Hi,

I've tried the former method of opening ports (minus any A records ), pointing the VEB client to it and failing due to the internal address of the VBR server being requested.
The VEB client sees the repository but fails go any further, As this is happening over the web the internal address is obviously not contactable, i've tried this with v8u3 and now v9 with the same result, are you aware of this as a bug or am I doing something wrong?
Peyo
Lurker
Full Name: Pierre M

Post by Peyo »

hi,

I hace the same issue. could someone tell me if they have a solution?

Thanks