Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Jpurdy79
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Jonathan Purdy

Veeam Replication and WAN Optimizer

Post by Jpurdy79 »

Here is our situation. We are currently trialing Veeam Backup and Replication 4.1.1 and HyperIP WAN Optimizer appliance. In our scenario, we have a VM replication job utilizing the vStorage API SAN mode, however it's taking 12-16 hours to replicate a 40GB VM. Hence, the reason we started looking at some WAN Optimization tools.

For the HyperIP appliance to "accelerate" the data between the sites, I need to redirect the traffic to the appliance. However, based on the readings from the WAN appliance, it doesn't appear to be capturing any data.

My question is, during a replication from our ESX4 host to the ESXi4 host at the DR site, how is the replicated data transmitted? Based on a previous disscussion with tech support they said if we are replicating from the ESX host (FC SAN) to the ESXi4 host (iSCSI SAN), then the replicated data will be transmitted from the Service Console NIC of the ESX host to the VMkernel Port NIC (iSCSI) of the ESXi host.

Anyone have any ideas on this topic?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Veeam Replication and WAN Optimizer

Post by Gostev »

Jonathan, how data transmitted depends on the job processing mode. The answer above is not necessarily right.

Also, I can confirm that Hyper-IP definitely works with Veeam Backup just fine, because we are using it in house to replicate between offices :) however, it is managed by our sys admin group, so I do not know all the configuration details.
Jpurdy79
Influencer

Post by Jpurdy79 »

In our scenario we are using the "VMware vStorage API" Mode: SAN with failover.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

In this processing mode, data flows in the following way:
Source ESX > ESX HBA > SAN Fabric > Veeam Server HBA > Veeam Backup agent > Veeam Server NIC > Target ESXi management network NIC
Jpurdy79
Influencer

Post by Jpurdy79 »

So in theory, if I add a static route on my Veeam Server to direct traffic destined to my DR subnet, to use the HyperIP appliance as the Gateway I should be able to capture traffic?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

That is correct. But if you cannot make it work, let me know and I will go talk to our admins about this.
Jpurdy79
Influencer

Post by Jpurdy79 »

Thanks! I'll make the changes and see what happens on the next replication.