Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
tinto1970
Veeam Legend
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Alessandro T.

A successful, non ortodox usage of Veeam B&R

Post by tinto1970 » 5 people like this post

Hi all,

i'd like to report a "strange" use case i made of Replication function in Veeam.

Task: we have a CMS for an internet site (usage close to 100 millions page views per month) and we needed to upgrade its version.
We were asked to clone all the components: db+backend (approx 1.6 TB) and frontends (approx 1 TB) so the developer team could operate the upgrades on the replicas.
This was necessary to have the old environment up and running while upgrade, and to have an easy fallback in case of issues.

The rough part was that we needed to stop writers from writing stories during the clone process, so the cloned backend VMs had the exact same content of the old ones.
As you can easily guess, cloning would require many hours and such a long stop was not possible.

The solution we have followed is to use Veeam Replication to have replicas of the backend VMs (within the same cluster of source VMs), which were synced every 30 minutes.
This way, when ready to start the upgrade process, we told to stop writing stories, performed the last sync (which required only a few minutes) and we were ready to start.

All has worked fine as expected, both in one aborted case (upgrade failed so we kept old VMs in production) both in a success case (upgrade succeeded, so we put in productions the replicated 'n' upgraded VMs and powered down the old ones).

I cannot imagine how we could have made without Veeam! :oops:
Alessandro aka Tinto | VMCE 2024 | Veeam Legend | VCP-DCV 2023 | VVSPHT2023 | vExpert 2024
blog.tinivelli.com
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: A successful, non ortodox usage of Veeam B&R

Post by dellock6 » 1 person likes this post

Cool, thanks for sharing your story Alessandro!

Luca
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1