Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
pkelly_sts
Veteran
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

Make backup copy start as soon as source job is completed

Post by pkelly_sts »

A backup copy job has a time window (i.e. continuous or otherwise) as well as an arbritrary start time. It can also be directly linked from its source job as a "Secondary Target".

I'd have expected the copy job to be started automatically, triggered by the completion of its source job, otherwise what's the point in linking it as a secondary job anyway?

In my case, the backup job tends to complete by around 20:15, the copy job is scheduled for 21:00 but with a continuous availability window.

What happens if I schedule the copy job to start before the backup job has completed? Will it complain about locked files etc. or is it intelligent enough to sit there waiting until the lock completes & then starts the copy job as soon as the backup file becomes available?

Basically I want to get copy jobs actually running ASAP after it's source backup job, but would rather avoid having to mess with pre/post scripts if at all possible.

Any suggestions?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Make backup copy start as soon as source job is complete

Post by PTide » 1 person likes this post

Hi,
What happens if I schedule the copy job to start before the backup job has completed? Will it complain about locked files etc. or is it intelligent enough to sit there waiting until the lock completes & then starts the copy job as soon as the backup file becomes available?
That's exactly what we call "best practice". Configure your backup copy job to start a few minutes after it's source job and it will detect that backup job is creating a new restore point. After the backup process is complete the backup copy job will start to copy backup immediately. Also forward lookup option is worth checking.

Thank you.
pkelly_sts
Veteran
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

Re: Make backup copy start as soon as source job is complete

Post by pkelly_sts »

Excellent, thanks for that. Will look into Forward Lookup too...