Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
pbu
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: never
Full Name: Peter Buijs

Copy Job Archival on Tape

Post by pbu »

Hi,

What I am trying to achieve.
From the Primary Repository we have a Copy Job running to a Secondary Repository

In this Copy Job the option we use the option "keep the following restore points for archival purposes"
With 4 weekly, 3 Monthly, 1 Quarterly and 1 Yearly Backup

With this setup the Secondary Repository grows rapidly
And we want to archive the W,M, Q and Y backups to tape.
Freeing up space on the Secondary Repository

Ideally I search for a way to relocate these (files for Archival purposes) to tape and automatically remove them from the Secondary Repository.
All within the control of the B&R Database to find the files and tapes.

But how....
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Copy Job Archival on Tape

Post by PTide »

Hi,
In this Copy Job the option we use the option "keep the following restore points for archival purposes"
Ideally I search for a way to relocate these (files for Archival purposes) to tape and automatically remove them from the Secondary Repository.
All within the control of the B&R Database to find the files and tapes.
If you don't really need to store those archival backups on your Secondary Repo then you can use GFS Tape Job. Backup to Tape job will synthesize a full backup file to archive to tape using the latest restore point available in source backup files at the specified time. Is that what you want to achieve?

Thank you.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Copy Job Archival on Tape

Post by veremin »

Such automatic relocation would not be possible.

However, what you can do is to create a files to tape job, selecting existing GFS restore points as its source. Once they are copied to tapes, you could disable GFS retention in the setting of backup copy job and create a GFS backup to tape job, so that, GFS points will be created on tapes instead of disks.

Thanks.