Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
tas
Novice
Liked: never

"Bare metal restore" possible with Volume Backup

Post by tas »

Hi again,

I got VEB up and running and was facing the "issue" already mentioned in this thread (veeam-endpoint-backup-f33/external-esat ... 25042.html). I know that Veeam can't determine whether esata-drives are internal or external drives so I have to choose "volume level backup" for my c-drive. The manual states that the "hidden" partitions are saved automatically.
I wanted to use VEB with the possibility to do a bare metal restore in case of hardware failure. Will it still be possible to perform a bare metal restore with volume level backup? Will the MBR of my system harddrive be saved when using this option?

Thanks in advance for your help

tas
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: "Bare metal restore" possible with Volume Backup

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hi tas,

VEB detects the ESATA drive the same way its presented to the OS, however, since it’s always visible to the OS as a local drive – it’s always treated as an internal device instead of the external one.
The manual states that the "hidden" partitions are saved automatically.
As long as all system partitions (like EFI or System Reserved) are included in addition to the system volume, it should be possible to perform the Bare Metal Recovery.
tas
Novice

Post by tas »

Does this also include the master boot record? Would you recommend to use an USB-disk instead to create a full backup?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Yes, as I wrote before make sure that while selecting volumes System Reserved partition or EFI partition are checked (btw they are by default checked whenever you select the system volume). External devices as a backup target are good backup teargets since they are not affected by hardware failures that may happen with internal devices.
tas
Novice

Post by tas »

Thank you, Dima P.!
Dima P.
Product Manager

You are welcome. If any questions arise - do not hesitate asking!