Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
hennning
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Niklas Henningsson

Dayly backup with monthly archive?

Post by hennning »

I must be missing something obvious but I can't figure out how to make a backup job with 14 days retention and then I want it to save one full backup every month with 3 months retention.
I tried to do it with a backup copy job but I only have 1 backup repository and it cannot copy to the same repository.
I also tried to play around with different Full Backup settings in the job but I can't figure out where to set the number of months it should keep my backup.

Anyone who can help me?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Dayly backup with monthly archive?

Post by Gostev »

You can create another backup repository pointing to a different folder of the same volume, and do Backup Copy there. However, it is really really bad practice to have both primary backup, and its archive copy on the same volume.
hennning
Service Provider

Post by hennning »

They also have a remote site backup up to Azure, but that's more expensive and just for disaster and is run every day with a 7 day retention.
What we really just want is to have the normal backup job automatically just put away a monthly backup on a local storage just to be able to restore data before the normal backup retention expires.

The ideal setup would be:
1. Daily backup of all VMs to local storage with 2 weeks retention. Also put away a full backup file once every month to be able to restore files 3-6 months ago, say if someone loses a file/email over the summer or some system gets corrupted that's only being used once a month.
2. Daily backup copy job of all VMs to remote storage.

Another backup copy job to the same storage would be fine, but you can't tell that to just do a monthly full copy as far as I can see, you also need to have it do some kind of daily work which just means more duplicate data.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I believe the following scheme should answer your requirements:

- create a backup copy job
- point it to a different folder on the same storage
- set minimal retention for it (2 points)
- set 30 days as copy interval
- enable GFS
- specify the desired number of monthly points that should be kept by backup copy job

Thanks.
hennning
Service Provider

Post by hennning »

Thank you
But what happens on months with 31 days?
What I mean is if I set it to do monthly backup on 1st, but the new copy intervall starts on the 31th or 30th. Will it do a full monthly archive on the first anyway?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

With the mentioned setting, starting from the third month, a backup copy should always synthesize a monthly GFS point regardless of whether a given month has 30 or 31 days. Thanks.