Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ashman70
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Both

Email reports

Post by ashman70 »

I am using the latest version of Veeam Backup in a Vsphere 5.5 environment, I have it installed on a Windows 7 64 bit workstation. I am trying to get Veeam to send email reports, but the error I keep getting is "the SMTP server requires a secure connection or the client was not authenticated. The server response was 5.7.1 Client was not authenticated"

The firewall on the SBS server that is the only server in the environment on Vsphere is off. I have opened an outbound rule on the Windows 7 workstation running Veeam to permit traffic from it to the server on port 25, I have put in the admin credentials in Veeam for SMTP authentication using just the admin name as well as domain\admin and I keep getting the error. What else can I try?

Thanks

AM
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Email reports

Post by foggy »

Please check Windows Event Log for related messages and open a case with technical support. Btw, are you getting this error when sending test e-mail from the Veeam B&R e-mail settings dialog?
ashman70
Expert

Post by ashman70 »

Yes, I am getting this error when trying to send a test email from the Veeam B&R e-mail settings dialog.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Veeam to permit traffic from it to the server on port 25
Additionally, add 465 port if you are connecting to smtp server ssl. The good way to check if it is connectivity issue –to run telnet from your Veeam server to mail server(By default telnet client is off in Win7, so you would need to enable it in Programs > Turn Windows features on or off > Telnet client).

To run telnet test go to Run >cmd and type telnet yoursmtpserver 25 to check connectivity for SMTP or telnet yoursmtpserver 465 to check connectivity for SMTP over SSL and see the result.
ashman70
Expert

Post by ashman70 »

I was able to successfully connect to port 25 via telnet, yet from within Veeam, testing the SMTP message feature, fails, every single time.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Have you enabled SSL security in Veeam backup server settings? If yes, and you still cannot send the test email, please open a support case with our technical team. Thanks!
ashman70
Expert

Post by ashman70 »

No I have not enabled SSL.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Try to enable it and see if that helps.
Anguel
Expert
Liked: 18 times

Post by Anguel »

It is strange, my provider's server uses port 465 for SSL connections (it does not accept connections on port 25) and I use port 465 in all other programs, only with Veeam it does not work. I need to enter port 25 (although SSL is checked) to make it work. Is this a bug?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Could be, let's verify it with our support team. Please let me know your case ID once opened.