Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
SimonGreen
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Simon Green

Exchange 2010 Log Backups

Post by SimonGreen »

All,

We're currently using VEEAM to backup our Exchange 2010 environment which works brilliantly.

Is it possible to run log backups only between full snapshot backups of Exchange 2010 using VEEAM? Ideally I'd like to take a snapshot of logs at 1 hour intervals to minimise data loss in the event of failure.

Appreciate if anyone could advise.

Regards,

Simon
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Exchange 2010 Log Backups

Post by veremin »

You mean you want to truncate Exchange logs outside of ordinary VM backup schedule?
mario.spaenhoff
Novice
Liked: 2 times

Post by mario.spaenhoff »

I would like to see a feature similar to SQL LOG Backup which only copies Exchange Logs and truncates them afterwards.
Regular VM Backup of the whole Exchange Mailbox Role VM is very resource consuming, even with CBT, as there are always many small blocks changed.
With the Snapshot Removal optimizations of vSphere 6 we finally have the ability to do an exchange backup during the day, which lead to service disruption before when removing the VM Snapshot.
But still a simple Log backup (e.g. every hour) would be much more efficient in my opinion. Works great for SQL Servers!

I silently hoped that such a feature would come with V9. Maybe V9.1?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Ok, so, you're after helper job collecting Exchange-specific data to guarantee a point-in-time recovery (should need be).

Cannot comment on our roadmap, but to date we haven't received too many requests for this functionality.

Thanks.