Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
tas
Novice
Liked: never

Backup file verification

Post by tas »

Hello,

I'm planning to use Veeam Endpoint Backup to backup my system to an external esata-drive or NAS. While reading the manual I realized that there is no description of how Endpoint Backup verifies created snapshots while doing incremental backups. Is this feature integrated but not documented or is there no verification of backup files at all? I can only find information about this aspect in the manuals of non-free versions so far.

Thanks in advance for your answers

tas
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Backup file verification

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hi tas,

There is a built in health check that confirms the backup chain is not corrupted prior to new restore point being created. If something is wrong – new full backup should be created instead of the incremental backup.
tas
Novice
Liked: never

Post by tas »

Hi Dima,

thanks for the quick answer!
ftcnet
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Bernard Klatt

Post by ftcnet »

I don't trust the VEB 'health check'. I was at a customer site and checked the VEB (1.1.2.119) status and found that it hadn't been able to create a successful backup for more than a week due to a missing summary.xml file.
The VEB 'health check' does not detect or deal with that condition.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

it hadn't been able to create a successful backup for more than a week due to a missing summary.xml file.
Can you elaborate, please? I believe when during file level backup job detects one of the source files being deleted it marks your backup session is yellow (warning), however the backup should be successfully created.