Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
SyNtAxx
Expert
Liked: 15 times

Migrate a particular job only from SOBR

Post by SyNtAxx »

Is there a way to accurately 'reassemble' a backup job that has been split out across multiple extents in a SOBR? Example, you need to relocate a single/handful of jobs from one SOBR to another. There is not way to target a specific job and evacuate those jobs only. Does the .vbm file need to be updated in some fashion to let the backup job know all its files are not contained in a single new folder?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6719 times

Re: Migrate a particular job only from SOBR

Post by Gostev »

Yes, this should be possible. Since backup files of each VM are placed in an identical subfolder structure on each extent (using job name and VM name), collecting all the backup files belonging to the specific job should be quite a trivial task. You just copy this subfolder structure from each extent into the single destination folder, and all the backup files will automagically reunite thanks to the same folder names.
SyNtAxx
Expert
Liked: 15 times

Post by SyNtAxx »

OK, thanks. I wasn't sure on the mechanism that is used to ensure the sanity of the files/backup chains. Since it is the top level directory name, indeed this is simple enough. I know this sounds like a trivial question, but when you are faced with moving TBs of data around, i want to get it correct the first time is the relocation of data is time consuming no matter how fast the network/disks/etc. Thanks again.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6719 times

Post by Gostev »

SyNtAxx wrote:I know this sounds like a trivial question
Oh, I did not mean the question is trivial, I asked devs the same couple of months ago :D
It is the task that is trivial once you know the answer to the question ;)
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

For future readers, there is a periodic system task called "infrastructure rescan" that runs every 15 minutes and re-reads all the content of every extent, and updates the informations about the position of each file. The main goal is exactly allow file relocations without having to reconfigure anything in the backend, for example after a policy break a user may want to reconcile the placement manually.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1