Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
StephanG
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Stephan G

HP StoreEasy 1650 & Veeam V9 - Best practice?

Post by StephanG »

Hey everyone,

we recently bought a StoreEasy to backup our data. I built in more RAM and a FC HBA to connect to our 3PAR and also act as backup proxy.

It came with W2k12R2 Storage installed and with looots of HP tools and also enabled features like iSCSI, Dedup which i don't want to use at the moment.
Also the install of HP has it's errors right from the beginning so i'm think if it is better to perform a clean install.

Anyone already has experience with this?

e.g.
There is a tool called "Manage Storage Pools". So it creates a 31 TB RAID6 (i cannot select JBOD) and then creates a storage pool on it. Then a virtual disk etc?
I thought storage pools are mainly for people that do not have a hardware raid controller.

Best Regards
Stephan
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: HP StoreEasy 1650 & Veeam V9 - Best practice?

Post by PTide »

Hi and welcome to the community.
It came with W2k12R2 Storage installed and with looots of HP tools and also enabled features like iSCSI, Dedup which i don't want to use at the moment.
Also the install of HP has it's errors right from the beginning so i'm think if it is better to perform a clean install.
I'd better contact HP support regarding this issue.
Anyone already has experience with this?
One of the possible drawbacks is that your warranty is likely to expire - I'd double check with the vendor.
There is a tool called "Manage Storage Pools". So it creates a 31 TB RAID6 (i cannot select JBOD) and then creates a storage pool on it. Then a virtual disk etc?
I thought storage pools are mainly for people that do not have a hardware raid controller.
Storage Pools allow some kind of flexibility when it comes to disk management, however in terms of performance in most cases it's still better to use hardware controller. Should you decide to enable deduplication please keep in mind that it's still recommended to utilize dedupe appliances as secondaryrepository, not the primary one. Also some FLR limitations come into play with StorageSpaces and dedupe appliances - please check this link.

Thank you.