Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
plochner
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Phil L

Veeam 9 - Wasted Space in Interface

Post by plochner »

Not a big fan of the new look and feel of Veeam 9. Lots of wasted space in the interface, and I find myself resizing the interface columns constantly to see the same information I could see without resizing in Veeam 8. For instance, when I select a backup job, the "Summary" box is 135 pixels tall right now. In Veeam 8, it was only 75 pixels and showed the exact same information. In Veeam 8, I could see 12 items in a list that took up 89 pixels of space, but in Veeam 9 those same 12 items take up 165 pixels. That may sound minor but when you add up all the needlessly expanded dialog boxes and it really adds up, especially when viewing on a laptop screen. I'm not able to see the same amount of information in one screen that I could in Veeam 8, and it's due to all this needless white space.

Is there a way to re-skin the interface of V9 to make it as efficient as Veeam 8?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Veeam 9 - Wasted Space in Interface

Post by Gostev »

No, there is no support for skins unfortunately.
plochner
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Phil L

Post by plochner »

Can you forward off my request to your GUI design team? I still have a server on V8, and I have been switching between the two of them all day and I genuinely cannot find a single advantage in the v9 GUI over what V8 provides, other than the green branding. I'm fairly new to Veeam, so it's not like I'm complaining because I have to change my ways after years of seeing it look a certain way. The V9 interface simply takes up too much room to convey the same information that V8 does, plus: resizing column width can only be done from the row header, but even though there's a bar separating columns, there's no coloring to distinguish the row header from the rest of the row contents. It just feels a bit like Veeam "fixed what wasn't broke" and that's a trend I hate seeing in products that I like.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

Let me check if we can fix resizing and header row color.

The rest is subjective - for example, I personally like more air (aka wasted space) instead of crammed user interfaces. Regardless though, our next big and unavoidable project in terms of UI is adding support for high DPI monitors, which will naturally require that we add even more "air" to the interface. So, unfortunately there is no going back due to modern technologies like high resolution displays and touch dictating new requirements - whether we like it or not...