Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
GMBackup
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: GMBackup

Highly Available Wan Accelerator, Possible?

Post by GMBackup »

Hi,

I'm looking for information about setting up a highly available wan accelerator on my target site due to a high number of backups from my source site. If I'm reading the info correctly If the target WANAcc fails my job will fail too, so that's why I would like a HA WANAcc.

My scenario is as follows: on my target site I have 2 WANAcc each with its own storage, and I can select them from the WANAcc list individually on each BCJ just fine, but, I would like to be able to have just one entry for WANacc on that list and have veeam redirect the traffic to the less busy WANAcc... Is that possible? Is there another way to provide HA to the WANAcc?

Thanks.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Highly Available Wan Accelerator, Possible?

Post by Shestakov »

Hi,
WAN accelerators give maximal benefit when they are populated by the backup data. So switching between 2 accelerators will reduce performance.
However, global cache can be used by several accelerators, when you set 1 target with several sources.
GMBackup
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: GMBackup

Post by GMBackup »

Based on that info then having more than 1 WANAcc as a target on the same remote location is pointless?
Is there a way to know how much resources a WANAcc should require to support XYZ load?

Thanks.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Correct.
The recommendation is to have not less than 40 GB cache plus additional 20 GB per 1 TB of data overhead in the cache folder (not included in the specified cache size).
Here is a related topic. Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You can have several WAN accelerators on target to spread the load, but you would need to manually specify different pairs of accelerators for different jobs (just like you do currently). System requirements for WAN accelerators can be found here.