Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
WMSinc
Novice
Liked: never

Backing up replica machines

Post by WMSinc »

Hello,

We were in a situation where our one of our production VM's files were corrupted beyind repair, we tried to failover to our DR site with the replica however the replica files were also corrupted. As a result we tried to perform a full recovery of the VM from backup, however this process could not complete (we tried again and it did finish the second time).

My question is, if we were to find ourselves in this situation again, would it be worth us taking backups of the replicas and storing them elsewhere, this would have saved us trying to recover from backup and we would have had the VM up and running again much quicker?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Backing up replica machines

Post by Gostev »

Hi, can you clarify your question please? I am not sure I understand what are you suggesting you should do. Thanks!
WMSinc
Novice

Post by WMSinc »

Hi Gostev, I was just asking whether it's normal practice / recommended to take backups of the replica files too for quick recovery.

Thanks
Caroline
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton »

As a side note, are you familiar with SureReplica? That can be used to verify that your replicas are valid and function as expected.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/vsp ... plica.html

Joe
WMSinc
Novice

Post by WMSinc »

Thanks Joe, I will have a look!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

The recovery will not be very quick, actually. Will take the same time as recovery from your local backup files.

There's a dedicated thread discussing backing up replica VMs and limitations it incurs.