Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
moka
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Louis Allen

Backup Copy Job to AWS S3

Post by moka »

Hello,

I currently have a daily incremental backup job running every day backing up all servers. It is configured to create a synthetic full backup every Sunday evening.

What I now want to do is setup a Backup Copy Job to copy the synthetic full backup that was taken on the Sunday to AWS S3. I have Cloudberry Drive setup and I have mapped the S3 drive in Windows which works correctly.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
moka
Novice

Re: Backup Copy Job to AWS S3

Post by moka »

Basically I'm asking what's the best way to offload full backups to mapped network drive once a week when the daily job that runs is incremental with a synthetic full.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Louis,
moka wrote:What I now want to do is setup a Backup Copy Job to copy the synthetic full backup that was taken on the Sunday to AWS S3.
Backup copy job doesn't copy the entire file, it copies data blocks for VMs in the backup files and then synthesizes a new backup file in the target repository.
moka wrote:Basically I'm asking what's the best way to offload full backups to mapped network drive once a week when the daily job that runs is incremental with a synthetic full.
If you want to copy files, then file copy job should be used, but it doesn't have any retention policy settings and incremental runs. Backup copy jobs should be a preferred way and these jobs copy VM restore points in accordance to "copy every" interval configuration.

Thanks!
moka
Novice

Post by moka »

I think I'm going to opt for using AWS CLI tools to sync *.vbk (full) files to an s3 bucket within Windows task scheduler. Not the most ideal, but it looks like it's going to do what I want.