Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
greenpower
Novice
Liked: never

Off-Host Backup Proxy

Post by greenpower »

Hello how can i setup an off-host Backup Proxy in an 2 Node Hyper-V Cluster environment? We once already added a Windows 2012 Server (physical Machine) as off-host Backup Proxy but when we tried to backup a VM we got the following error: "Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: There is no hardware provider for off-host backup detected. Snapshot failover is disabled."

But i must say that the off-host Backup Proxy we added does not have direct access to the iSCSI LUNs of the Hyper-V Cluster and is only connected to the client network of the Hyper-V Cluster... Does the off-host Backup Proxy need to have direct access to the iSCSI LUNs of the Hyper-V Cluster via iSCSI Initiator? Won't this connection screw up my csv Storage?

thanks alot!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Off-Host Backup Proxy

Post by veremin »

Hi.

Have you had a chance to take a look at the corresponding User Guide (p.12)? All preliminary requirements are covered there:
1. The role of an offhost backup proxy can be assigned only to a Microsoft Windows 2008 Server R2 machine with the Hyper-V role enabled or to a Microsoft 2012 machine with the Hyper-V role enabled.
2. The offhost backup proxy must have access to the shared storage where VMs to be backed up or replicated are hosted.
3. To create and manage volume shadow copies on the shared storage, you must install a VSS hardware provider that supports transportable shadow copies on the offhost proxy and the Hyper-V host. The VSS hardware provider is usually distributed as a part of client components supplied by the storage vendor.
It seems that you haven’t followed two of the above mentioned steps:

• Your offhost backup proxy doesn’t have an access to the shared storage where VMs reside on.
• And VSS hardware provider that supports transportable shadow copies isn’t installed.

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

greenpower wrote:Won't this connection screw up my csv Storage?
Veeam B&R requires read-only access to the LUN, which is possible when disks are seen as offline in Disk Management. This does not corrupt anything as corruption could be caused by disk initialization, however Veeam B&R automatically sets SAN Policy to Offline during installation, thus preventing disks from being initialized.
greenpower
Novice

Post by greenpower »

Thank you guys for your answer!

Is there a way to make a QNAP nas work with an offhost backup proxy? I guess QNAP does not have their own vss hardware provider...
Are there any NAS storages supporting this at all?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

As far as I’m concerned, neither QNAP nor any other NAS device have hardware VSS provider. Thanks.
absys34
Service Provider
Full Name: Olivier MARTY

[MERGED] CSV Cluster, Offhost and Equallogic : CSV access ri

Post by absys34 »

Hi everybody

Here is my problem :
I've a 2008 R2 Hyper-V Cluster with 2 nodes.
Veeam v7 Patch 4 backup server is on a third physical server (2008 R2).
Veeam Backup with Onhost proxy are working OK.

I wish now to use Offhost proxy for performance reason.
Beside Veeam prerequisites for OffHost proxy I need a simple information : what kind of access level should I set on CSV volume, for the Offhost iSCSI initiator : R/W, R/O, Snapshot only ?

I browsed a lot and googled, but never found a clear and documented answer...

If someone is using such a configuration, please let me know...

Best regards

Olivier
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Olivier, read-only access to the LUNs is required for off-host proxy. Don't forget to enable Hyper-V role on the proxy as well. Thanks.
cedricRCF69
Lurker
Full Name: cedric bornuat

[MERGED] Off-host Backup - Hyper-V - Equallogic PS4100

Post by cedricRCF69 »

hello,

I've an error with my job.
I have 3 hyper-v nodes and 1 equallogie PS4100.
The error message is :
Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: There is no hardware provider for off-host backup detected. Snapshot failover is disabled.

Does anyone know this error message ?

thanks
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,

You post has been merged to an existing topic - please review the thread.

Thank you.
jldwyer1420
Influencer
Full Name: Jeff Dwyer

[MERGED] VBR 9 - off-host proxy - csv setup

Post by jldwyer1420 »

I've read through docs on setting up off-host proxy but didn't see a definitive answer to my question.
I have a 6 node hyper-v 2012 r2 failover cluster with 6 csv luns and 80 VMs.
If i setup an off-host proxy i assume this server will need to have the 6 csv luns presented to it as well. If so, any concern about corrupting a csv when Veeam off-host proxy is running a backup job?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: VBR 9 - off-host proxy - csv setup

Post by Vitaliy S. »

jldwyer1420 wrote:If i setup an off-host proxy i assume this server will need to have the 6 csv luns presented to it as well. If so, any concern about corrupting a csv when Veeam off-host proxy is running a backup job?
Yes, that's correct. Your off-host proxy server should have the same configuration in terms of volumes presence as the production cluster/hosts. Please read the above thread for more details.
jldwyer1420
Influencer
Full Name: Jeff Dwyer

Post by jldwyer1420 »

Perfect, this is the info i was looking for. just didn't want to potentially corrupt my csv's. One other question, I have the hyper-v role installed but not configured. does this matter? does the off-host proxy need to be setup and configured as a Hyper-V server?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Jeff, you just need to enable the Hyper-V role on the proxy server.
EddyChong
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Eddy Chong

Post by EddyChong »

Hi,

I understand that back in 2013 there was no hardware vss provider for NAS. Do you aware of any hardware vss provider from Synology at this time? I've read in their forum that Synology Hardware VSS Provider will be installed if the Synology Snapshot Manager is installed. But i'm not sure whether the snapshot created is transportable shadow copies.

So I would like to get some information if anyone has came across to the same case using Synology hardware vss provider for Hyper v offhost backup or I should say: the successful case.

Thank you
magdykamel
Lurker
Full Name: Magdy Kamel

[MERGED] Veeam to Backup Hyper-V Cluster

Post by magdykamel »

HI

I have to plan to using veeam to backup VMs that running in Hyper-V Cluster, The setup has 12 Hyper-V cluster and SAN storage.
There are about 15 cluster shared volume CSV in the cluster. all Hyper-V hosts connect to SAN using FC
I using physical veeam proxy and VM for veeam backup and replication.

My question is how I connect physical veeam proxy to the LUNs (SAN LUNs), all Hyper-V connect to SAN via Fibre channel.
the veeam proxy has HBA interface, but I need to know if I added the proxy HBA to SAN to access LUNs, it my interrupt the hyper-v clusters node or corrupted VMs

Thanks
Magdy
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Veeam to Backup Hyper-V Cluster

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Magdy and welcome to the community!

You should present LUNs to the proxy server with read-only access, all disks should be visible in disk management as offline.
This way nothing can be corrupted, since you're not initializing disks, also Veeam automatically sets SAN policy to Offline during installation.
Please review this thread for additional information. Thanks!
Syed.Maseeh
Novice
Full Name: Syed Maseeh

Post by Syed.Maseeh »

Hi,

We have 3 hyperv clusters from two different storage CSVs HPE 3PAR7200 and DellSCV3020 Stroage. Veeam BR Server used as a Off-Host Proxy and mapped all the CSVs to Veeam.
When we assign a new CSVs LUNs to the Veeam its taking a different LUNID when compare to Cluster volume. I know that assigning a LUN with LUNID Missmatch cause issues not sure what would be the impact in this scenario since the volume to veeam are readonly. Kindly advice if we can present LUNs with different LUN ID?

Thank you.
Syed.Maseeh
Novice
Full Name: Syed Maseeh

Post by Syed.Maseeh »

Any update on the above query would be highly appreciable.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Syed,

To be honest, I am not sure. Did you install the VSS hardware provider? I am guessing that there is somewhere a step in the process forgotten or not succeeded. Because this could be a bad thing to do when it is not configured correctly, can you please create a support call? They will be able to look into it and give you more information on what is right and/or wrong.

Please post the case ID here so a follow-up can be done, and the outcome after the engineers investigated it.

Thanks
Mike