Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ohuetz
Influencer
Liked: never

Backup Server restore and Infrastructure rescan

Post by ohuetz »

Hello,

yesterday I had to restore the Veeam-Backupserver. I did a fresh install and restored the configuration. The last message during the restore was to wait for some tasks to finish before reactivating the Backupjobs.
In the Job-History under "System" I can see two tasks - "Shell run" and "Infrastructure rescan" - they started yesterday at 20:00 and were still working this morning. I had to restart the server due to another issue and these two jobs started again.
Can anybody tell me what these jobs are doing and if it´s normal to run so long?

Kind Regards

Oliver
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup Server restore and Infrastructure rescan

Post by foggy »

Oliver, these tasks are expected to be displayed there as they are executed permanently (so they are not those mentioned in the message).
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Infrastructure rescan indeed happens automatically, and depending on the infrastructure size can take some time. Can you please tell us how many VMs you're backing up/replicating with this installation?
ohuetz
Influencer
Liked: never

Post by ohuetz »

OK, so I see it´s no "real" problem. I never looked into this section and had the last message in my mind.

The Infrastructure ist quite small, only two hosts with around 12 VM beeing backed up. Additionally there are about 15 Endpoint Backups running. I noticed, that the "Infrastructure rescan" changed to "failed" after the reboot.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

This process happens every 24 hours, so monitor the progress of existing task and let us know if you experience any issues with running existing backup jobs.
vmff
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Post by vmff »

I'm doing the same process today, what happens if we enable a job before it finishes?

...Not sure I even needed to run it in restore mode, since I know no jobs had run since the config backup, but there were idle copy jobs active in continuous mode (fully sync'd, but not disabled).
vmff
Influencer

Post by vmff »

Does anyone know if it is OK to start running backups again?? This ran for 24 hours and then restarted again. It says to wait until it completes before starting backups...
vmff
Influencer

Post by vmff »

Nevermind, it looks like it's just still running from 30 hours ago. How long can this process theoretically take? What exactly is it doing?

Disappointed this wasn't mentioned anywhere in the documentation that it could be days before the server can be used again after restoring. Thought it was going to be fairly painless.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

vmff wrote:Disappointed this wasn't mentioned anywhere in the documentation that it could be days before the server can be used again after restoring. Thought it was going to be fairly painless.
It shouldn't take days, that's why it is not mentioned in the documentation. Please open a support case if you cannot run regular backup jobs while this task is executed.
vmff
Influencer

Post by vmff »

That's just my question. Are you saying I can go ahead and run a backup before this process completes? (it's still going)

Just trying to follow the instructions, don't want to jeopardize all my backups.
vmff
Influencer

[MERGED] What is Infrastructure Rescan after Veeam restore?

Post by vmff »

What is it doing specifically? And what happens if you ignore the direction to leave all backup jobs disabled until it finishes? What would be at risk?
Driven by the discovery that it takes a really long time to complete.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

This jobs rescans all your existing backups/replicated VMs to detect the list of all restore points available. In addition to this, this job scans whether all backup components are available and can be used by backup/replication jobs.

You can start your backup jobs. This task happens on daily basis and does not affect existing backup jobs unless there are some issues with backup components (proxy, repository servers), which is not the case in your situation, right?