Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mckaj
Novice
Liked: never

Ability to disable jobs to stop scripts from triggering them

Post by mckaj »

Not sure if this has been covered already, the forum search does not seem to like me tonight!

If a job has a schedule in the Veeam interface I think you can disable it.

If a job is scheduled to run out of task scheduler/powershell script, you don't seem to be able to disable it in the Veeam interface.

I tend to chain backup and replication jobs out of powershell scripts. At expected and unexpected maintenance times it would be good to be able to disable one or more of the chained jobs in the veeam interface, instead of going digging into scripts or trying to kill a memory process that is already in action. I don't always want to stop everything... sometimes I just want to stop the next job in the chain.

Ideally I would like to be able to disable a job, and this would not allow the job to start (existing instance would be ok) until it was enabled - perhaps just fail the job... even if a script is triggering it. Even better if we could say disable for X hours... or something like that so we could easily skip a job run... the job would be disabled until that time, or until it is manually flagged as disabled.

... or am I missing an easy solution here?

Cheers
Andrew
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Ability to disable jobs to stop scripts from triggering

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Andrew,
mckaj wrote:If a job is scheduled to run out of task scheduler/powershell script, you don't seem to be able to disable it in the Veeam interface.
Yes, that's correct, as disabling option relates to job scheduling only.
mckaj wrote:I tend to chain backup and replication jobs out of powershell scripts. At expected and unexpected maintenance times it would be good to be able to disable one or more of the chained jobs in the veeam interface, instead of going digging into scripts or trying to kill a memory process that is already in action. I don't always want to stop everything... sometimes I just want to stop the next job in the chain.
I would recommend to avoid job chaining at all and limit the number of jobs running in parallel or one after another via concurrent tasks limit that can be configured for the backup proxy and repository servers. In this case you would be able to disable jobs via built-in functionality. Here is a useful topic to look through > Jobs schedule best practices

Thanks!