Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
stevewalker
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Steve Walker

Running vPowerNFS and NFS Services for Windows in parallel

Post by stevewalker »

I am configuring a Windows Storage Server 2012R2 (Dell NX400) as a Windows backup repository and have run into a small issue. Out of the box, the Win2012R2 storage server includes Windows Services for NFS and this appears to use ports 111 and 2049. I had hoped that we could increment the vPowerNFS service port number from 2049 to 2050 (leaving the other 6161,1058 ports intact during the default install) - however it looks like the inbuilt NFS services in Windows are still clashing with vPowerNFS because ESXi gets rejected by the NFS server with an invalid mount point message.

I have uninstalled the Windows NFS feature and vPowerNFS InstantVM recovery works just fine. Despite this simple solution we were hoping to also use the Storage Server as an NFS mount for some Linux DB backups, however even if I increment the vPowerNFS port 2049 to 2050 there still seems to be a problem with a conflict on the 111 port (I assume).

Has anyone else managed to figure out a combination which allows both Veeam vPowerNFS and MS NFS Server components to co-exist on the same Storage Server?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Running vPowerNFS and NFS Services for Windows in parall

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Steve,

Indeed, vPowerNFS requires port 111 to be opened and not locked by another process which, in your case is Windows NFS feature. Since server processes cannot share the same port you can’t have both components running within the same machine.
stevewalker
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Steve Walker

Re: Running vPowerNFS and NFS Services for Windows in parall

Post by stevewalker »

Perfect, thank you for confirming the situation. Perhaps in the future there will be an option in to modify the base port used, but for the meantime I will remove the NFS role from the server in order to retain the vPowerNFS feature = fantastic!