Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
thatvmwareguy
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Stuart McEwan

Changing port group on replica

Post by thatvmwareguy »

Is it possible for a replica VM to be assigned to a different port group than the original VM is is cloned from, in an automated fashion?

I have a setup with Nexus switches at each site so the port group names will always differ between prod and DR sites as with Nexus port groups it always appends the switch name to the end, i.e. in prod we have the VM connected to the network "VLAN10 (prod-nex-sw1)" but at the DR site even if the network is called VLAN10, the Nexus port group will be called "VLAN10 (dr-nex-sw1)", so when we try and failover the VM wont power as it cant find the correct network to connect it to. I know you can manually edit the settings of the replica and then power it on but would like to automate this in some way.

Cheers
Stu
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Changing port group on replica

Post by Gostev »

Have you considered using PowerCLI and automating these updates?
thatvmwareguy
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Stuart McEwan

Post by thatvmwareguy »

Yes, I was just hoping there was something built in to Veeam that would support this as I would have though its quite a common requirement. Any chane this will be built into the next version? Do you have a good example of how to achieve this with PowerCLI?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Stuart, I am going to have to ask devs to research if Nexus can be controlled through VMware API. If so, then it should be possible to build into next version, since we are planning some major replication enhancements there anyway.