Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Blackout of Data Collection

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

I have setup monitoring on a 3 host Hyper-V cluster configuration to troubleshoot issues with a SQL database. The end users are seeing lockups and connection issues so I wanted to get some good details on the over cluster usage.

This morning we had another database connection issue, I go into Veeam and see that for 6 minutes there was no data collected on any host, the bar graphs had a blank spot. I check all Window Event logs, cluster logs, anywhere I could think of and nothing reported an issue, except Veeam One that said this: "Veeam ONE Monitor server failed to collect performance data from the objects specified"

So Veeam One could not connect to the hosts at the same time, so I am looking through and after 5 minutes, I see the bar graphs are now filled in for that time period.

So my questions are:
1. If Veeam loses connection to the hosts, does the host cache the performance information that Veeam pulls after it regains it connection to fill in the blanks?

2. How is Veeam One connecting to gather the information, basically what should I be looking at first to troubleshoot the connection issue and possibly find why the database is losing its connection.

Also I have a monitoring tools that ping all the servers constantly and nothing was unreachable via ping during that time frame.

Thanks for any ideas!
VMCE v9
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Blackout of Data Collection

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Ryan,

1. Hyper-V host doesn't store any historical information, as opposed to vCenter Server.
2. By default Veeam ONE uses WMI to collect data, also there is an option to failover to collecting data via remote registry. In order to troubleshoot this, I would suggest to start with perfmon - confirm that performance data is available there for Hyper-V objects and then proceed with WMI connection troubleshooting.

Thanks!
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Re: Blackout of Data Collection

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

Ok thanks for that information, I will take a look into perfmon and see what is shows.

Cheers!
VMCE v9