Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
vpoon87
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Victor Poon

Using Resources From Other Sites

Post by vpoon87 »

Hi all,

Say we have three sites- A, B, and C. Each site has it's own V9 B&R servers on one machine. I'd like to make backup copies and replicate amongst the three sites, A and C make backup copies and replicate to site B and site B make backup copies and replicate to site C. Do I need to install separate proxies and repositories at each site to accomplish this or can I use the existing B&R servers in each location as targets for backup copies and replication even though they are separate B&R systems?

Thanks
Victor
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Using Resources From Other Sites

Post by foggy »

You can use existing installations provided all of them are kept at the same patch level. However keep the load aspect in mind, since concurrent tasks are counted within each of the Veeam B&R instances independently, instance in site A doesn't know about tasks assigned to the same server by instance from the site B.

That said, why did you decide to go with a separate instance in each site, instead of having a single Veeam B&R server in one of them and standalone management consoles in others?
vpoon87
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Victor Poon

Post by vpoon87 »

Hi foggy,

Thanks for the reply.

I've only built site B so far so I'm still able to make changes in my plans :)

That said, are you recommending I just put proxies, wan accelerators, and repositories in site A and C? What would happen though if site B, the site with Veeam B&R server goes down, and how would I fail over to site C since site B is replicating to site C?

Thanks
Victor
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I got your point regarding using "pull" replication to be able to immediately failover using Veeam B&R UI in case of DR. It's up to you to decide whether to have a separate instance in each site for this purpose or use configuration backup to quickly restore the single Veeam B&R instance in another site prior failing over.