Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
alexgr
Novice
Liked: never

Migrate Veeam Enterprise Manager to another Server [v9]

Post by alexgr »

Good day everyone,
maybe you have some expierence or a best-practice about migrating a Veeam Enterprise Manager to a new server keeping all the data (and most importantly keeping the encryption keys which are in use).

More Information:
In order to harden my backup (hello crypto virus) I want to leave the domain with the backup server and the off-site Fileserver/Tapeserver. The backup server runs on a Windows Server 2012 R2 with the default VBR and VEM installation (same SQL database). I still want my colleagues be able to use the VEM with their credentials for file-levelRestore over the web interface and I like to use the vCenter Plugin. So I decided to move the VEM Installation on a new VM within the domain. While connecting the servers in the new setup shouldn't be the problem, I still need the current data on the VEM (as said most importantly the encryption keys).
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Migrate Veeam Enterprise Manager to another Server [v9]

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Alex,

Do you plan to migrate Enterprise Manager with its database or you would like to move just Enterprise Manager?

Thanks!
alexgr
Novice
Liked: never

Post by alexgr »

I plan to move all components (Enterprise Manager with it's database)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

In this case, you need to migrate this database using SQL Management Studio (via detach and reattach operations) to the new SQL Server instance. After that copy all catalog data (if you're using indexing feature) to the same folder location. Once all is done, just point Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager to the original database in the installation wizard.

Finally, please re-enter all user credentials in the Enterprise Manager, since they are encrypted with machine key from your previous installation.