Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
tntteam
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: tntteam

Veeam v9 data blocks size "legacy" 8MB

Post by tntteam »

Hi,

I just upgraded from v8 to v9 and I see in advanced settings, storage tab, under "storage optimization" : "Local target (legacy 8MB block size).

The veeam helpcenter show :
Data Compression and Deduplication NOTE:
If you upgrade to Veeam Backup & Replication 9.0 from the previous product version, this option will be displayed as Local target (legacy 8MB block size) in the list and will still use blocks size of 8 MB. It is recommended that you switch to an option that uses a smaller block size and create an active full backup to apply the new setting.
Last time I had, as best practice, to switch to "local target" for best results with win2012 deduplication (https://www.veeam.com/kb1745). But I had to reset every backup chain and backup copy chain to apply the new block size as requested by Veeam support.

So what should I do now? Which block size ? I have to restart, again, every backup chains ?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam v9 data blocks size "legacy" 8MB

Post by foggy »

The block size was changed from 8MB to 4MB to improve performance of recovery scenarios that involve random I/O. If you want to benefit from this improvement, you need to change the block size to the new value by selecting the 'Local target (16TB+ backup files)' option. Thanks.
tntteam
Enthusiast

Post by tntteam »

Last time I changed block size I had to reset every backup chain and backup copy chain to apply the new block size as requested by Veeam support.

So what should I do now? I have to restart, again, every backup chains ?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

If you decide to to select the smaller block size option, you would need to perform active fulls on your jobs for it to take effect.
tntteam
Enthusiast

Post by tntteam »

Ok thank you, I ll go with that.