Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Zew
Veteran
Liked: 80 times
Full Name: Aemilianus Kehler

Feature Request (Hot add VM to SBJ)

Post by Zew »

Hey there,

Maybe this is already possible. I was wondering. Since I don't have the craziest vPower NFS datastore my SBJ can take a decent amount of time to spin up and use. Often since I ahve to fight with my SBJ to get them to come up in a working state to actually do some test I often find myself having to adjust or create multiple application groups.

I'm aware of linked jobs to spin up other non critical member servers all at once, but can you add servers to a SBJ once it's already started, and you checked off the checkbox to leave teh job runnign once successfully started (a test enviro instance).

What I find myself doing is cloning some of these members servers instead and adding there vNICs to the proxy's vSwitch on the host running the virtual lab.

So instead of me having to clone my VM's and do all this tweaking, it be nice to just edit the running SBJ or something and tell it to spin up another VM from backup and add it to the existing SBJ enviro.

Thanks for any responses.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Feature Request (Hot add VM to SBJ)

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Zew wrote:I'm aware of linked jobs to spin up other non critical member servers all at once, but can you add servers to a SBJ once it's already started, and you checked off the checkbox to leave teh job runnign once successfully started (a test enviro instance).
It's not possible out-of-the box, however you can use Instant VM Recovery option to spin up VMs from the backup file and then connect them to the VM network of your configured Virtual Appliance VM, should do the trick.
Zew
Veteran
Liked: 80 times
Full Name: Aemilianus Kehler

Re: Feature Request (Hot add VM to SBJ)

Post by Zew »

That's exactly what I currently do. ;)