Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
damadhatter
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Chris A

Veeam BEM reporting jobs for the last 24hs

Post by damadhatter »

Since upgrading to Veeam 9 & BEM 9 it looks as thought Veeam has made some changes to the way copy jobs show in the console & report to BEM. In the past with Veeam v8, an offsite copy job (with the copy interval set to 1 day) would report the job as running for a total of 24hrs/1day as seen hereImage.
You couldn't tell from the Veeam console the actual run time of the copy job without looking under the action panel to see when the job ended and doing the math.

Since upgrading to Veeam 9 this has changed. If you look under duration of the job on the console you see the actual time it took for the job to process everything until it reached the point of waiting for the new copy interval as seen here (ignore the errors, a bug with the WAN accelerator) Image.
At that point the job sits idle until the next copy interval, then reporting a success when the interval restarts. If you look in the console history you could see the start time (when the interval starts) & the actual end time of the job, not the entire 1 day copy period as you did in v8. Both of these are great changes to the console.

I manage 10 different Veeam sites and I use the BEM to get a quick overview of which failures happened and where in the past 24hrs Image
I also get a daily job summary email sent to me telling me the same details. This emailed report would contain the same details I could find in the console (though the email body always reports an error, even if succeeded in the retry, while the subject line of the email wouldn't include that as an error in the counts if the job succeeded in a retry.)
The important part of this being that the Copy jobs WERE part success or failure of both of these reporting tools. In the past when I looked in BEM under Dashboard > Last 24hrs, I would see the status of ALL of my jobs, both successful & failures.

Since upgrading to Veeam 9 I notice the Dashboard > Last 24hrs & this daily job summary email is less the copy jobs successes. I opened up a support case and after various testing I was told this is by design. I didn't understand the design concept of this, nor did tech support.

Here is where this becomes faulty.... the BEM does it's job of reporting an error, but it doesn't of a success of a copy job in the last 24hrs. What if a copy job is disabled in the console, you wouldn't see a failure but you wouldn't see the success either in the daily reports. If you went along thinking everything is great because you had no failures in the last 24hrs, then you would never know about that disabled job until it came for a restore and you are in big trouble.

Try to wrap my hands around this change, this is a huge disappointment! Anyone else seeing this? I am told Product Management is active in these forums and might be able to put a deeper dive into the thought process behind this change.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Re: Veeam BEM reporting jobs for the last 24hs

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Chris! What was the support case ID for this? Please remember to post one, as requested when you click New Topic. Thanks!
damadhatter
Service Provider

Post by damadhatter »

01685762 but it has already been closed.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Sure, I just need it to check who told you this is by design and why (who in R&D did they talk with).
By the way, I am pretty sure the change you are describing in the first part of the post was made in one of the v8 updates, and not in v9.
damadhatter
Service Provider

Post by damadhatter »

Sadly 2 technicians & a support manager :/
damadhatter
Service Provider

Post by damadhatter »

Any updates on this?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

We've reviewed the code to confirm there has been no changes between v8 and v9 in this logic, but I've logged a change request for Backup Copy job to log results immediately upon transfer completion (as is the case with email report). Thanks!
damadhatter
Service Provider

Post by damadhatter »

Well I just applied update 1 yesterday provided to me by support, my BEM is Version:9.0.0.1491 now all my jobs show even the offsite ones. Something changed :?